Photo

CG5 and SV Clamshell

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 larryo

larryo

Vostok 1

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:38 AM

I received my new CG5 last week via Woodland Hills. I'm attaching my SV 80mmED to it with my SV clamshell. My question how do you guys mount your SV with clamshell onto the CG5? I clamped the clamshell directly into the mounting platform, and it seemed to hold solidly, but I wasn't comfortable with it. The mounting bar that came with the CG5 has holes in it, but they do not match up with the holes in the bottom of the SV clamshell. Anyone with firsthand knowledge of this combination care to comment?

Thanks,

Larry

#2 Terrance

Terrance

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:31 PM

I may not be understanding your question.

I have both a SV102ED with clamshell, and a CG-5.

I havn't used my SV102ED with clamshell on my CG5, but have on occasion put it on a Orion SkyView Pro GEM without any difficulty. Just put the dovetail bar from the Clamshell in the shoe or saddle on the Mount and tighten the clamps. I would see no concerns about that.

#3 jimandlaura26

jimandlaura26

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:36 PM

A little hard to understand your question. Your SV-80ED clamshell should come attached to a Vixen-style dovetail that fits right into the CG-5 saddle. If it does you are good to go, unless it's a question of where it sits in the saddle for balance (e.g., when using a binoviewer with the scope shortened) or whether you put a safety screw in the bottom of the front of the dovetail to help ensure the scope does not slide out if the securing screw on the saddle comes loose.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics