Photo

CGEM and Telesopes.com

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 chollman

chollman

Mariner 2

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:02 PM

Telescopes.com just cancelled my CGEM order that I have been waiting for a month to get. Due to overwhelming demand. What a laugh. I guess I don't rate. Does anyone know where I can get one in short order? Charlie

#2 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:37 PM

Unfortunately Astronomics is all out right now. OPT is out of mounts only, but you can get the package deal. The 8, 9.25, and 11 CGEMs are all available. It is a bargain buying them together too. OPT also gives you a 5% discount just like Astronomics, but you need to join their free rewards program first before ordering the mount.

#3 Jeff55

Jeff55

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

Just got my notice from Telescopes.com...outrageous way to do business. I put my order in on May 4th and they even offered me a discount to buy.

#4 chollman

chollman

Mariner 2

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:23 PM

Same here. I got a discount last week, when they said it would be another month. Then I got an email two days later saying delivery would be on May 7th. Then they canceled. Wow! What an elusive mount.

#5 chollman

chollman

Mariner 2

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:31 PM

And I forgot to mention that with that email, they said that I could buy instead the CGE mount and the Vixen tripod. And then they sent another email that said they were sorry that I canceled my order. Bizzaaroworld. I never cancelled my order in the first place. I sent back that I would buy the CGE for the same price as the CGEM, since it is over twice as much. Can you say bait and switch?

#6 gsmblue

gsmblue

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:06 AM

I got news today that mine is in the store for pick up. Basically Someone gave up waiting and I got their back order. This was with a different dealer though...

#7 t.r.

t.r.

Aurora

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:06 AM

I got canned too... :tonofbricks:

#8 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:28 AM

Hold on a minute guys... I know you're upset but let's try to avoid imagining what the vendor's intent is (i.e. "bait and switch"). These folks are going to catch enough heat as it is. Just the facts please - thanks.

Charlie

#9 Jeff55

Jeff55

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:38 AM

Charlie;
My sense is that they over commited price-wise...I got a discount of 5% plus free shipping plus an interest free 3 month payment plan. The margins (according to one vendor at NEAF) are very small and so the best way to back away is to cancel orders made like this and simply make up the best possible excuse. Again, just my take (that and 15 cents won't get you on the Boston subway system). Regardless, I would avoid this company in the future.

#10 divers

divers

Viking 1

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:52 AM

Without meaning to offend anyone. I purchased mine from Astronomics with no problems and wonderful service. You guys might want to think twice about who gets your business next time. These discounts sound great.....up till you don't get your stuff. I really hope you guys get your mounts. The CGEM is really wonderful. Try calling Astronomics and see what they can do for you.

#11 chollman

chollman

Mariner 2

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:35 AM

I should of known that I was in trouble when I started getting emails from them wanting to sell me lawn furniture and flower pots. Now i am a month behind. Why do I get the feeling this is my fault? What is wrong with this picture? Thanks for the leads on another mount.

#12 Dr Benway

Dr Benway

Viking 1

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:17 AM

I ordered a CGEM from Telescopes.com on 2/3/09. I used a 15% discount promo code and the total was $1190. I received an email saying it would ship within 5 business days. A few weeks later they sent me an email saying the CGEM was out of stock and the next shipment would arrive in late March. A month later I received an email concerning yet another delay and the item would ship to me around April 6th. This kept going on until I called another vendor and got a Losmandy GM-8. I then called Telescopes.com and cancelled the CGEM. The person I talked to on the phone made no attempt to sell me another mount or explain the delays. There are too many good dealers out there for me to ever darken their door again.

John

#13 chollman

chollman

Mariner 2

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:47 AM

I just ordered from Astronomics. No more Telescopes.com. My mistake. I want the CGEM because I already have an ADM dual saddle waiting for the mount to arrive. And I love the polar alignment feature. And I am also very familiar with nexstar.

#14 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:21 PM

Charlie;
My sense is that they over commited price-wise...I got a discount of 5% plus free shipping plus an interest free 3 month payment plan. The margins (according to one vendor at NEAF) are very small and so the best way to back away is to cancel orders made like this and simply make up the best possible excuse. Again, just my take (that and 15 cents won't get you on the Boston subway system). Regardless, I would avoid this company in the future.

Hi Jeff - to my point, we can speculate for days as to the reasons this situation exists but the only ones who really know the score are the folks at Telescopes.com.

Look at it this way - say you were invited to a party. Something came up, and you can't make it. It would not be proper for the folks who invited you to the party to post public speculations as to the reasons you cancelled out on the party, would it?

It would be more than enough for them to say that they're so upset that they won't invite you ever again. In fact, any more than this and depending on exactly what was being said you might have good reason to claim that they are defaming you.

IMO it's no different just because this place is a business - unless there's some real evidence to be had anything you might have to say about this is mere speculation at best and if the speculation could be viewed as defamatory it's also not really in line with the CN TOS.

#15 GeorgeNC

GeorgeNC

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:18 PM

I "pre-ordered" one last week from OPT. They just called and told me it's being shipped to me today.

#16 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:57 PM

99% of the time, everything I ever ordered from telescopes.com has come in on time and in good shape. I had 2 issues and I feel both were resolved to my satisfaction so I for one will use telescopes.com again.

#17 chollman

chollman

Mariner 2

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:11 PM

Just don't buy a CGEM from them. I think it stinks. I will never buy anything from these people. They were very nice to me until they cancelled my order. There are too many reputable astronomy businesses out there for me to deal with them again. I never have encountered this before, so I am having a tough time dealing with it. Just my first hand opinion. I am not a dealer basher either. I didn't loose anything except time. I know better now, you live and learn. Charlie

#18 gsmblue

gsmblue

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:27 AM

Ok, let me throw this in to the hat...

I have the grand pleasure / stress (delete as appropriate) of being a national sales manager....

When we introduce a new product, it is very difficult to gauge interest. Some times we produce too much inventory and on other occasions we do not produce enough.

I can imaging in the case here, with celestron, they have under estimated interest in the mount alone.

If you were a vendor, in these economic times, which orders would you fulfill first?

In an ideal world it would be those orders placed first, but I am sure there is pressure to increase revenue and and hence put mount only orders at the bottom of the pile....

This is a subject that could be debated at great length and I am not trying to validate the situation of any distributor here, but just be aware that there is more at play then the end user always gets to see.

I am writing this late at night after a very nice bottle of pinot, so please do not flame me :)

#19 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:51 AM

Well, I have to step in and defend Telescopes.com as they've been nothing but great for me, even through the whole Celestron CGEM debacle. They stood by me and supported me when Celestron was frustrating me to no end. And yes, one of the ways they offered to help me was by offering me the same 15% discount I'd had on the CGEM on any other mount they stocked. I'm not sure why their attempt to suggest alternatives for other customers is a bad thing. I also wouldn't consider it bait and switch since they offered several different options at a range of prices. At any rate, based on what I consider really exceptional customer service from a company that actually does care about its customers, I just happily gave them another $1500 worth of business and all was delivered on time as expected and less than I would have paid anywhere else.

So, before flaming them about the cancellation of the CGEM orders, I think we need to put the blame where it likely belongs, which is with Celestron's difficulty in delivering the product in volume and possibly even playing favorites with which dealers they're supplying. Note that's not too unusual of a situation in any industry. Manufacturers like to keep their best customers happy, and if a particular dealer doesn't sell as much as another, it's not surprising who's going to get more CGEMs! Thus, I don't think this is a matter of Telescopes.com trying to cancel orders that were discounted (I DID get mine at a discount and I don't see those people with canceled orders all saying they'd received a discount) but rather that they just can't get the darned things from Celestron. Of course anyone's welcome to prove me wrong by ordering a CGEM for Telescopes.com now at list price and seeing if they'll deliver it. However, at the moment when I look at their website, they don't even list the CGEM anymore. I think (or choose to believe as the case may be) that they just gave up on the CGEM for the moment.

Oh, and BTW, I waited almost four months for mine. Ask a lot of people around here and you'll find that if you're not prepared to wait for a product (espcially a new product) then don't bother placing the order!

Beo

#20 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:50 AM

OK folks - this thread has run its course.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics