HELP needed with Orion SkyView Pro mount

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DeSotoboy

DeSotoboy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

I want to buy a GoTo system for my Orion SkyView Pro mount.
I bought the mount used, so I don't know how old it is.
The new GoTo system will not work on a older SkyView Pro mount.
How can I tell if my mount is the older version?

Thanks,
Terry

#2 Graystar

Graystar

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Aiken, SC

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:23 PM

I just got a SkyView Pro (no GoTo) and I’m quickly becoming an expert on it (having had to take it apart already!)

Apparently it’s hard to know for sure...but if your support tray has a notch cut into it and your legs are 1.75” in diameter, then I’m guessing that it’s probably good to go. The notch in the tray is the giveaway, as its purpose is to hold the GoTo controller. You can see what I mean in the instructions…

http://content.teles...tions/29296.pdf

#3 DeSotoboy

DeSotoboy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for the info.
It looks like mine is the newer model.

Why are you taking yours apart?

#4 Graystar

Graystar

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Aiken, SC

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:57 PM

The scope kit was a floor model so I got a reduced price on it but when I received the mount I found the RA axis was seized and wouldn't rotate when released. The mount came from across the country, and since shipping is so expensive I returned only the problematic parts to the seller, who is going to clean up the parts (apparently they have a machine shop.)

I had read that these stands really need a good working over and that they work much better when the worm gears have been deburred, so I figured it's something I have to do anyways so I'm not terribly upset over it.

I just hope my parts don't get lost in the mail!

#5 MtnGoat

MtnGoat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Columbia Gorge, WA

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:41 PM

I had the same problem with my Skyview Deluxe. The RA axis was binding up. I tore it down and discovered a miniscule scratch on the exterior of the RA shaft. I have no idea how a scratch got there, but the pretty tight tolerances of the RA shaft meant this scratch was causing me big problems.

I got some 3000 grit paper, used a strip of it by pulling it back and forth gently while wrapped around about 180 degrees of the shaft, to get the worst out. Of course you need to keep rotating the shaft so you don't wear it all down on one side.

then I hit it with some chrome polish and a rag, and did the same 180 degree wrap of the rag trick while rotating the shaft every few swipes. For this stage, I did the entire shaft not just the area that was scratched.

cleaned it all up, superlubed it. nice and smooth now.

now my problem is that I think the RA worm isn't quite round or something, but that's another thread.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics