Moon-scape from Earth's Lava-scape

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:54 PM

Traveling through New Mexico where it is both delightful by day and by night is a real treat. We came upon this little BLM campground called Vally of Fires, where the campground is on a sandstone hill or mound that is adjacent to an old lava flow. We set up that night (May 3) to sketch the moon just after first quarter.

While I set up, Linda sketched the moon in haze -- a memory from Virginia, then went to Plato for the evening. I went to Fontenelle and the backdrop near the terminator. The seeing was mottled with clouds, but we enjoyed the time before the 19 inch HDTV since it was the monitor for the astro video camera that was set up on the C8.

Her two sketches were done quickly and she retired by the time I was barely half way through mine . Mine shows the equipment and position/orientation for both.

While it was a peaceful night, it was hard to ignore the past violence around us as the lava flow surrounds the observing area. All this occurred some time following the area being lifted and the tectonic plates moved after the world wide flood of Noah. At the same time, the moon's creation period was also violent, as exhibited by the magnificent array of craters on the near side of the ruler of the night. So it is a privilege to sketch in peace while observing the landscape and moonscapes -- both radically affected by God.

It was a good evening to give thanks.

Roland (and Linda)

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:17 AM

Linda and Roland,

These are beautiful lunar drawings. Thank you both for posting. :waytogo:

Frank :)

#3 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

Great sketches Linda and Roland! :bow: :applause: :bow: Roland you mentioned the HDTV, does this monitor deliver sharper views of the Moon than a CRT?

#4 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:34 PM

Linda and Roland,

Excellent observations of the Moon. Linda's hazy Moon and Plato observations show nice detail. Roland's observation of Fontenelle is excellent. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#5 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:40 PM

Linda and Roland,

Amazing sketches, from both of you. :bow:

Thank you for sharing.

#6 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:49 PM

The short answer is yes, by a little bit. The real advantage is that it only weighs 10 lbs, is less than $200, can be used for regular TV or DVD, and draws only 32 Watts. The new little sets (this one is at SAMs ... VIZIO 19) have much better dynamic range for brightness and color than those just produced 2 years ago. And, backlight can be adjusted to help. Blacks are much better than before. So this little HDTV does better than my 14 inch Sanyo high res CRT monitor...and does more with less power. This is a change from the past; my test results are on the astro video forum. Hope this answers your question.

Note: eyepice views are still sharper than astro video views by a little bit, but the screen view permits much more versatility and less wear and tear on my aging body.

Roland

#7 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:55 AM

Linda and Roland,

Wonderful sketches of the moon in a very wonderful place. Thanks for sharing.

#8 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:09 AM

Thanks all. No time to sketch tonight but had the opportunity to go through an explanation process plus an introduction to telescopes with a pastor and 3 young men...only one had ever looked through a scope, so the full moon and Arcturus were enough to really impress them. In the process, I explained why sketching helped children and adults see better....anything, since one is self-forced to remember detail and apply it. No problem with them as they understood right away. Maybe tomorrow we will sketch! RB

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics