Moon altered by clouds and light pollution

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:01 PM

As I saw the moon break out of clouds in the Dallas/Ft Worth area I ran to set up a 4 inch refractor. I figured why not have a background suitable for the heavily light polluted metroplex, so I chose bright orange. The sketch had to be quick because of the clouds were even quicker. With the fast sketch 1/2 done, the clouds rolled over, but their color was strange because of the reflected light pollution. So the overlay of browns and yellows was what I saw, where even clouds get affected by city glow, which, of course, serves little purpose except to render the deep night sky unseeable. Nevertheless, the period was fun, and the sketch is what it is. Roland

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:24 PM

Roland,

I love this drawing of the moon in the orange metro-Texas sky.
I am not in favor of the reason for the orange sky but the sketch is great. :bow: :cool:

Frank :)

#3 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:36 PM

Very unusual and wonderfully sketched view Roland. :waytogo:

#4 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:18 PM

Roland,

An en excellent observation of a hazy orange Moon observed over a metro sky. It reminds me of an observation of the Moon during brush fires over South Florida (below). Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

Attached Files

#5 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

Thanks guys. It was fun. The orange sheet of paper was the first out of the folder, so I went with it. Think of it as a brand of disfavor for the metroplex's disregard for the night sky. Roland

#6 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:46 PM

Roland, this is a fascinating rendition of a very grim* looking moon with apocalyptic undertones.

*or perhaps just grimy! Well-rendered in either case. :waytogo:

#7 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:49 AM

Roland,

Very haunting and foreboding, I like it! Thanks for sharing it.

#8 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:04 AM

Thanks Eric and Jay.

The sketch also brings to mind false color sketching -- a parallel to false color imaging. Once in the past I did the Altai scarp with bright yellows (as white), greens (as mid tone), and blacks for the darkest shadows. It produces a mixture that is equivalent to false color imaging, which is common in astronomy. For those who have not tried it, it actually helps the study of some lunar targets. Somehow the mental re-assignment of colors to a grey-toned moon enhances study and then the results get translated to the sketched moonscape. Would like to see someone else try this. I found it interesting. It also permits interesting assignments of of a wide variety of color sets.

RB

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics