Photo

Globular Practice: Fuzzy Snowballs in Spring

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:15 PM

The mid-south star gaze was in its last night but I was weary of the crowds of scopes and folks after 4 nights of observing. I crept away to a spot right by our camp location and set up a manual scope to catch M68 and then Omega Centauri, which I cannot see in Virginia under most conditions and at most locations. So the page is a series of quick sketches -- all from a manual mount with a C8 on one side and the 4 inch refractor on the other. The sketches are either eyes-alone or a drastically reduced video astro setting. The sketch you see is inverted since I did the original with plain copy paper and a #2 pencil. Sometimes it's just a pleasure to whip a scope around to grab things and study them with quick sketches. This was one of those nights.

...by the word of the Lord were the heavens made, their starry host by the breath of his mouth. Psalm 33:6

Roland

Attached Files

#2 DSalters

DSalters

Viking 1

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:06 PM

Inspiring as always. Thank you for sharing :)

#3 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:30 PM

Roland,

Enchanting sketches all. I really love observing globulars and with my skies not clearing up your sketches remind me of the wonders they are.

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:11 AM

Roland,

Very nice globular cluster sketching. :waytogo: I am glad to see you are enjoying your road trip.

Frank :)

#5 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:02 PM

Beautiful Roland, simply beautiful! :D

#6 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:10 PM

Roland,

Excellent observations of M68 and Omega Centauri. These are two interesting globular clusters. Omega Centauri is, in my opinion, the finest globular cluster in the heavens. I once observed Omega Centauri in a large Dobsonian (20-inches) at the Winter Star Party some time ago and have reproduced (from memory) what it appeared like to my eyes. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

Attached Files

#7 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:12 PM

Roland,

Turning your talent towards globulars makes marvelous sketches! Bravo. :cool:

#8 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:54 PM

You guys are suckers for globs, too!! I like them but just don't sit and sketch them. I would like to do this one again with at least twice the aperture, but it is rare that I am in a position to do it. I will be in S.California for a week so perhaps I will catch it again with my 8 inch.

Clear skies.

Roland

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics