Photo

OK! I have officially HAD it with this stinking...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
70 replies to this topic

#1 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:55 PM

:cloudy: weather...

Pretty much since I've had my "new" MI-250 (and the new QHY8) I've been subjected to non-stop clouds (and now rain) the last 10 days...

I tell ya, I'm fed up with it! Curse be Darned! I mean, yeah, I suffered about a week of the curse... deservedly :lol:

then, got things polar aligned and drifted in, about a week+ ago...

But now I'm ready to finally run this puppy in!... but, the neverending forecast is... :cloudy:

Argh! It must be all those NEAF purchases! yeah, that's it!

I need some clear skies, and I need them NOW!

Ahhhhh, yessss... now I feel a bit better!

clear enough skies

#2 BCB

BCB

Undercover Saboteur

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:03 PM

That makes 2 of us.. No SOONER did I say, "ship to:", and the clouds, and rain rolled in, and haven't stopped since....

#3 antilles72

antilles72

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:17 PM

Hey Dave, even my wife is feeling sorry for me. This must be the post NEAF curse, and I did not even go!!! :bawling:

#4 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:26 PM

That's why I hate the late spring/summer/early fall. If the clouds don't get us, the haze does. And that brings heat, humidity, sweat, skeeters. AAAAAAHHHHH!

David

#5 Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius

Soyuz

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:39 PM

All I did was buy a silly 27mm panoptic at NEAF and not one clear night since then. In fact I'm contending with heavy rains the past week! :ranting: !@#$% :ranting:

#6 mtb.daily

mtb.daily

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:45 PM

Me,

I'm just doing the HyperTune to my EQ-6 Pro......

But, just watch and see, I'll get it all done and

BOOM :cloudy: !@#$% :cloudy:

#7 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Vendor - Trapezium Telescopes & Services, LLC.

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:58 PM

We ain't doin' any better in NH! I've got mounts that need to be tested and we're now considering building and Ark!

Steve

#8 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:22 AM

Build the ark and navigate it to Ariz / New Mexico / Fl ... :)

We here in Portland have webbed feet and would rust with that much good weather !

#9 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:01 AM

I heard that clouds were invented in the Oregon/Washington area. :grin: Is that true?

#10 mwedel

mwedel

Works with Sauropods

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:15 AM

I heard that clouds were invented in the Oregon/Washington area. :grin: Is that true?

Nope. They're actually GSO clouds, they just get shipped from the West Coast. ;)

#11 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:15 AM

You buy a nice mount like the MI-250 and you expect to use it after just a week or two of clouds? That nice a mount is liable to get you a whole year of clouds. Add to that all those people who purchased the TMB eyepieces on NEAF special, the Televue eyepiece sale, and all the other sales and we may never see clear sky's again. I hope it clears up soon for you.

#12 starbob1

starbob1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:25 AM

Same here in Ohio Valley'IN;Got a new CGE and it has been sitting 10 day.More rain today also thursday friday.YADA YADA YADA

#13 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:40 AM

It's no better in Virginia. We had one of our wettest Mays in history last year and it looks like Mother Nature is trying to break that record this year. :cloudy:

Maybe I should buy one of those new ES 14mm Underwater eyepieces. :rimshot: :lol:

Ron

#14 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:38 AM

You buy a nice mount like the MI-250 and you expect to use it after just a week or two of clouds? That nice a mount is liable to get you a whole year of clouds. Add to that all those people who purchased the TMB eyepieces on NEAF special, the Televue eyepiece sale, and all the other sales and we may never see clear sky's again. I hope it clears up soon for you.

Boy, I sure hope you are wrong on THAT prediction! :shocked:

that would really stink!

The whole reason I'm now setup at this new level is so that I can take advantage of the smaller "sucker holes" that we get all the time here in New England... an hour here, an hour there kinda openings...

In the meantime, I suppose I can just putter around in the obs, getting things all tidy like...

Truth be told, we did actually kinda need all this rain... but still, sheesh

It would be nice to explore some galaxies during the spring galaxy season after all!

clear enough skies

#15 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:12 AM

Last clear day was Wednesday last week and we have rai at least until Saturday. I just ordered a dew heater, its not fair. There hasn't been any dew, its been washed away by the rain.

I even made a sacrifice to the weather gods by buying the wife jewelry to make up for all my astro purchases. What gives!

#16 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:34 AM

It's no better in Virginia. We had one of our wettest Mays in history last year and it looks like Mother Nature is trying to break that record this year. :cloudy:

Hey, at least you're getting rain. We've been in drought conditions in Central Texas for so long that the very little rain we've had has things growing, but we're nowhere back to where we need to be. But the clouds just linger! Talk about frustrating. Opressive humidity and constant clouds but no friggen rain! I just keep wanting it to rain and get it over with so that the water's in the ground and not overhead!

Beo

#17 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:18 AM

The only clear nights I've seen lately have been mid week during a full moon.

#18 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:37 AM

I justed checked the weather and first possible clear night is Sunday and guess what ITS GOING TO BE A FULL MOON! UGH!

#19 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:51 AM

OK, you want to hear something weird?
Two weeks ago tomorrow, I ordered a piece of gear. It was supposed to be here last Friday. The NOAA site showed rain for that entire weekend for me.
A couple of days before it was to arrive, I called the vendor for a tracking number. Well, they hadn't sent it yet, but it was expected to go out the next day. I immediately went to the NOAA site, to see the rain had disappeared from my forecast. But I still had clouds.

I tell you, it KNOWS!

#20 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:15 AM

I have a better one, right before I ordered my Dew Heater, I checked the weekly forecast and it was partly cloudy, no rain. I was on a business trip when it got in on Wednesday, it was clear on Wednesday and Thursday, but I got home pretty late and didn't want to take the scope out. Started rainign on Friday (that was 5 days ago, rain every day and night). I agree IT knows.

#21 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:05 PM

That's probably the truth.

We had a great clear night last night(between storms)...and again today it's raining C&D's.

You have to be extremely busy in the shop building scopes to get you through the rainy season.

Waiting on clear skies round hear is like watching grass grow.

Rob

#22 Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:25 PM

Yea, I just got a brand new 9mm eyepiece Friday, so of course it clouded up Sat & Sun. Yesterday I just got a bahnitov focusing mask, but I don't think I'll be able to do anything until this weekend, at which point the weather is supposed to be going from "clear" to "mostly clear". With my luck it'll change to "cloudy". I think the June gloom is coming early

#23 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:46 PM

You just might get lucky Aaron, it's close to a full moon so the clouds may part for a little while.

#24 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:03 PM

You just might get lucky Aaron, it's close to a full moon so the clouds may part for a little while.

It could be a *Lunar* prank.....No one ever wants to look at the moon...so he's ticked off...and he increased his gravitational effect...which sends the clouds into a tizzy.

When he goes full blown(full moon) he releases his hold on the clouds...allowing them to run for the hills...exposing the bright unabstructed moon. It is a typical thing around here....rain..rain.. then it clears up for a full moon. :confused:

Someone needs to get back there and set off a small reaction(preferably nuclear)in his ear to get his attention. :grin:

Rob(what a glorious day that will be) :grin:

#25 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:34 AM

No, clouds were invented in California. But Oregon and Washington hold the copyright on RAIN!!!!!! :rofl2:

Haven't seen a photon falling from the sky for two whole weeks!

John

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics