• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cristofer

Cristofer

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:31 AM

Hi! I´m new to this forum, at least writing in it. Today I have a Celestron CG-5 and a WO 80 Zenithstar, but I am thinking of upgrade and buy a new mount and a larger telescope, probably a Skywatcher Explorer 190 MN PRO or a larger refractor. But first comes the mount and there are for the moment two alternatives: Celestron CGEM or Skywatcher EQ6. Which one should I buy? I am mostly interested in astrophotography. The Skywatcher Explorer 190 MN PRO is pretty heavy, 10-12 kg I think, and the mount must be capable to carry it and my WO 80mm as a guide scope. I also live in cold environments (northern sweden), where the temperatures can drop to -20 degress Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit) and the mount must be capable to handle the cold. My CG-5 has no problem with the cold and I will probaly seldom go out with my telescope when it is that cold, but probably when it is -10 celsius (14 Fahrenheit).

#2 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:58 AM

Both mounts are capable of doing what you want. Since you're already familar with the Celestron hand controller which includes the All-Star polar alignment feature, that seems like an attractive choice. It's cheaper too. Your call!

Patrick

#3 therocksal

therocksal

Viking 1

• Loc: Everett, WA

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:15 PM

I have the same issue and thank heavens, I have 3 more months to vacillate!

I bought a 111EDT and will get a KWIQ guider plus some cheapie CCD camera...so, as much as I love to tinker with things and would have a fun time with the non-goto Atlas and EQMOD and save $200 over the CGEM, I keep thinking I'm still going to be able to tinker with the CCD, especially If I get a mono, and will have to tinker with the autoguiding...so how much tinkering do I really want?

This hobby never gives you easy choices...it's nice to have choices, but OIY.

#4 Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Riverside, CA

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:32 PM

As far as I've been able to determin, the CGEM is actually just an improved EQ6. It has better motors and more bells & whistles with the celestron controller. You might take a look at this thread to see what others have said. To me it looks like if you want to use EQMOD, get the atlas, otherwise get the CGEM. That is, if you can actually find someplace that has them in stock.

#5 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:02 PM

"It has better motors..."

Certainly different motors, but I don't know if they are better necessarily. Noisier by report, but I haven't seen anything thus far that would judge them as being better.

I suspect the shortfall of CGEMs will be history shortly. The demand is here so it would be totally unlike "China Inc." not to adjust production to meet that demand.

Though I will likely first add wither a CGE or G-11 to my mount collection I am also looking at adding a CGEM for travel/outreach work. I have an Atlas and it has been a very good mount, but it would be nice to have two similar capacity easily transportable mounts for road trips. It's also nice to have redundancy on such trips. Were I to drive two 18 hour days to an extremely remote dark site and then have the sole mount I brought experience a glitch, I would cry. :lol:

Regards,

Jim

#6 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:03 PM

Definitely the CGEM, but I'm prejudiced... :cool:

#7 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:20 PM

The motors are a little noisier but they are also faster. I you slow them down and slew at the same speed at the EQ6 then they sound about the same.

#8 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:59 PM

I love my Atlas EQ-G but Oh My Gosh would I love that All Star Polar Align! Today it would be CGEM, probably. But EQMOD allows me to track satellites with the EQ-G.

#9 mtb.daily

mtb.daily

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:56 PM

To add to the 'tinkering' comments above, I have the EQ-6 Pro (same as the Atlas but white) and it is a fantastic mount.

The best part of getting a mount that has been around a while is that you can upgrade it with new and much better parts (such as ceramic bearings).

If you never plan to modify it, then you will want something that you wont get tired of. On the other hand, if you like to tinker.......

- Jerry

#10 Cristofer

Cristofer

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:20 AM

Thanks for all advice. I will probably buy a CGEM. But here in Sweden the CGEM is alot more expensive.

#11 ColoHank

ColoHank

Vanguard

• Loc: western Colorado

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:31 AM

Were you to drive two 18-hour days to an extremely remote dark site, you'd likely be driving past dozens of remote and darker sites enroute. Either that, or you need a new car -- one that goes faster than twenty miles an hour. :grin:

#12 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:57 AM

Hi! I´m new to this forum, at least writing in it. Today I have a Celestron CG-5 and a WO 80 Zenithstar, but I am thinking of upgrade and buy a new mount and a larger telescope, probably a Skywatcher Explorer 190 MN PRO or a larger refractor. But first comes the mount and there are for the moment two alternatives: Celestron CGEM or Skywatcher EQ6.

Difficult decision. I love the Celestron HC and firmware. But I am more than happy with my Atlas EQ-6. My vote? If you will be using a laptop regularly in the field, get the EQ-6 and run it with EQMOD. If not, think "CGEM."

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics