• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville, VA

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:52 PM

Hi Folks,

What do you think? Can the SkyView Pro handle the 20-pound Celestron C9.25 SCT or do I really need to go with the lighter C8?

I have the SkyView Pro and I’d love to get the Celestron.

Thanks
Bart

#2 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:27 PM

I would get the C8 and even then you will still want to get a set of vibration suppression pads. The 9.25 is a long scope in addition to being heavy, I don't even like using it on my Sirius and that is rated for more weight than the SkyView Pro.

#3 PAW

PAW

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:16 AM

Orion sells the SVP with a 9.25 SCT.

I think it will work, the SVP is pretty beefy.

#4 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:21 PM

That's right, I saw it.

Hum, now what do, the 8" or 9.25?" :question:

The above smilie is so winky, we need one that looks like Rodin's The Thinker.

#5 Terrance

Terrance

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Near Portland Or.

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:32 PM

For visual use only, my experience is that the SVP is just fine with a C9.25. When I got my 9.25 a few years ago, I bought the OTA only, planning to try it on my SVP 1st, and then going larger on the mount only if needed. Fortunately, the SVP worked out fine. While I did later get a Celestron CG-5GT, I did that for the goto, and it did not seem to add any more stability.

I should add that while researching this back when I got the 9.25 OTA, there were many posts in Cloudy Nights opining that a SVP would be inadequate even for visual use with a 9.25. None of these posters had actually tried it however. There were also 4 posts from members who actually used the SVP with their 9.25, and all 4 said it worked well for them.

Now they were not into Astrophotography-that puts special needs on a mount. However the consensus I got from CN posters who had actually tried it for visual only, as opposed those who made educated guesses, was that it works fine.

My 9.25 is most often used on a 2nd floor condominium balcony, with the tripod placed on a JMI medium wheely bar rig. As I recall when I used it with the SVP, it had a vibration damping time if slapped on the tube or leg at 100x, of 3 seconds or less, which to me is quite satisfactory. Standards may differ from person to person, of course.

#6 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:41 PM

Terrance,

Your situation sound very much like mine. IE.. SVP,visual only, condo balcony etc...

I think I'm going for the 9.25.

Thanks

#7 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:47 PM

The SVP looks alot like my new type EZ Touch but must be able to handle a load much better. The EZ doesn't even come close to working with my 9.25. I ended up getting a Teleoptic Giro for it. David

#8 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:27 PM

I would also say the weight will be ok, it certainly carried my 8" SCT more than adequately, better than its original fork+wedge mount, actually, as far as vibration damping went.

One thing to consider, though, the worm wheels in the SVP are small, perhaps 3 inches in diameter. Even a little bit of slop in the mesh translates to quite a bit of movement possible in a high-power view. And it's pretty difficult to get the mesh really precise with this mount without it wanting to bind in certain places. My preference is for slop rather than binding.

In this way it was inferior to the fork mount the SCT came with (much larger-diameter RA gear and a better design for minimizing slop in the mesh, as well as a long-radius Dec lever arm). So the SCT wound up back on the fork and the SVP is just used for the refractor, where it works fine. This is admittedly not a fair comparison, the original fork was designed with the SCT to work as a complete package, the SVP was not.

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics