• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:41 PM

Starlighter, glad to hear that you finally found a mount that's working for you! Don't worry, Orion will correct the problem with the bent knob shaft before you know it.

#27 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny California

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:52 PM

I got confirmation the new knob will be delivered on Saturday. Until then, if I want to mount two scopes at once, the knob off the Portamount works. It's the same size thread. Now with a spare knob end, I wish I could figure a way to get the screw out of the black plastic Vixen knob and into the aluminum one. It would look a lot better.

Gee. Ain't I crazy or what? :flexible:

#28 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:13 AM

>>>would this mount handle a 120ed pro and a c8??<<<

Works very well with my EON120 and IM715 together. They each weigh about 15 lb.

NOTE. The left dovetail mounts to a big tension adjusting nut on the alt axis. There a three interanl setscrews which lock the nut to the shaft, and another 3 that fasten the dovetail to the nut. All 6 need to be sufficiently tight to stop the left dovetail from rotating with respect to the right.

#29 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:24 PM

Last night I tried out the mount with my C4-R seen here in a photo taken of the earlier mount. This time I had more than enough tension to keep the scope from falling once I removed an eyepiece. I would balance the scope, but soon discovered that applying just a bit of tension kept the scope in place no matter where I parked it. What's really great about this mount is the lack of vibration. Last night I used my 3.5mm Hyperion on Saturn which gave me 285X and vibration was not enough to keep me from obtaining perfect focus. Too bad seeing conditions weren't better. At that magnification, Saturn rippled in and out of focus. I knew the night would be bad for seeing since stars were twinkling a lot more that on other occasions. It seems with heat and wind, air turbulence gets worse and where I live it was quite hot (over 85 at 9 PM) and the wind was blowing in gusts. Not great for those California wildfires.

If anything, there might be a bit too much tension since I noticed that unlike the previous mount which lacked hardly any, this one, even with the tension knob almost fully out, seems to exhibit a slight bit of stiction. But I'd rather have it this way that the other way. With a longer, heavy scope, having a light amount of stiction means I don't have to constantly keep rebalancing. Last night I slewed around with ease. Tonight, I might try my 6" SCT on the Orion.

Attached Files

#30 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:09 PM

I got the replacement screw!

Attached Files

#31 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators