New Shaft for an EQ-6 Pro
Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:16 PM
I took my counter weight shaft, the tail where it slides in/out, and my 4 eleven pound weights to a local machine shop and asked if they could:
1) bore out the hole the existing shaft comes out of to 1 inch and thread it for 1 x 16;
2) cut me a piece of 1 inch stainless steel (304) about 19 inches long;
3) thread it to fit in the hole created in step 1;
4) create a new toe saver (stainless again) about 1.5 inches wide; and
5) bore out the holes in the counter weights such that a delrin sleeve could be inserted and fit over the new 1 inch shaft.
Can you say WOW......
The fit, amazing.
The finish, brilliant.
The feel, awesome.
Oh, and by the way, NO play in the weights. They fit very snugly.... NO sloppin' about like they used to.
I will post images later tonight
Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:05 PM
So, as promised.....
First, the new setup - lower DEC nut to the toe saver
NOTE: The shaft is 1 inch thick and 18 inches long.
It weights in at about 5 pounds....
Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:07 PM
Here is the outside looking into the newly threaded, slightly larger hole.
Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:08 PM
Next, another view of the new DEC nut.
Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:09 PM
Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:12 PM
Here are some details on the threads that the machinist cut.
Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:20 PM
John, you were asking $$$$
Well, you're down there in Alabama.... I am in Toronto.. (USD vs. CDN)
Anyway, I paid $130 CDN buckerroos...... Thats about $105 USD....
Since the machine shop is only 5 minutes from where I live.....
Now, you can go to TSS http://www.telescope...litysystems.com
got to Ruby Lith http://www.astro-rubylith.com
Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:23 PM
In addition to the shaft mods..... I had to open up the holes in the counter weights a little.
All four 11 pound weights cost me another $120..... These *&^#(* things are made of Cast Iron....
Anyway the holes were lined with 1/8 inch delrin sleeves to protect the finish on the new stainless steel shaft.
Here is a closeup of the new hole.
Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:27 PM
I am very happy with the results....
Next, the Altitude mod.....
BTW: I have ordered the new bearings from Ruby lith (see note above)