New CGEM on the delivery truck

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 QueueCT

QueueCT

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:23 PM

Woo hoo! At least a week earlier than expected. Now I need to order those accessories to make everything work.

John

#2 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:05 PM

Congrats!

#3 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Administrators
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:10 PM

:grin:

Mine is still boxed up in the back seat of my Jeep. :lol:

#4 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

• Loc: CO. Aurora, USA

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:24 PM

I got a shipping confermation email for mine. :jump: :jump: :whee:
Dan

#5 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:03 PM

Congratulations John, you're going to love it!!

:grin:

Mine is still boxed up in the back seat of my Jeep. :lol:

Scott... Do you need someone to bring that big heavy box inside for you? :roflmao:

#6 chollman

chollman

Mariner 2

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:52 AM

Mine too! Saturday delivery. I already have the ADM dual saddle with orange knobs waiting for docking. I plan to put it to good use with several scopes. :yay: :jump: :hamsterdance: :banjodance:

#7 Doug6952

Doug6952

Apollo

• Loc: West Milford, NJ

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:44 AM

Congrats on the new Mount!

My CGEM is on the delivery truck too. Except mine is heading in the other direction to Celestron for repairs. :bawling: Since Astronomics didn't have any in stock to replace mine, I had to send it in to get repaired. Celestron says it will be about a 30 day turn around.

#8 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:27 AM

My CGEM is on the delivery truck too. Except mine is heading in the other direction to Celestron for repairs. :bawling: Since Astronomics didn't have any in stock to replace mine, I had to send it in to get repaired. Celestron says it will be about a 30 day turn around.

Doug,

What was the problem with yours? Celestron wanted me to send my second one back to repair the dented leg, rather than just sending me a new tripod leg. After waiting about three months to get the FIRST one replaced, I said No Thank You! I'll live with the dent!

Beo

#9 GeorgeNC

GeorgeNC

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Land of the Sky, North Carolina

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:13 AM

I got a shipping confermation email for mine. :jump: :jump: :whee:
Dan

Same here - got the email yesterday from OPT - expected to receive it on the 12th.

#10 donsinger1

donsinger1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:16 AM

Amazing....the supply chain seems to have been uncorked. Congrats to you all on your new toys...I love my CGEM...still toying with guiding settings using PHD, but have not had enough time to play due to weather...when it has been clear, I have just gone for it an imaged; but, now, during the bright Moon phase, I plan to see what settings work best.

I can setup from scratch, polar aligned and ready to begin imaging in less than 30 minutes. Since I have to setup each time, that is terrific. Goto accuracy is very good, and the polar align routine works well for my application - but, that is based on only 2.5 minute guided subs (my area is heavily LP so much longer subs are out of the question).

Don

#11 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:52 PM

Doug,

What was the problem with yours? Celestron wanted me to send my second one back to repair the dented leg, rather than just sending me a new tripod leg. After waiting about three months to get the FIRST one replaced, I said No Thank You! I'll live with the dent!

Beo

They actually told you to send back the entire scope for a dented tripod leg :question: That may be the dumbest thing I have heard in a long time. You should be able to just unscrew the hex bolts holding the outer aluminum leg in place and send just that part back. What the heck is wrong with those people. I had similar issues with my original Meade LX200 and they just sent the replacement parts and told me to toss the old ones in the trash.

#12 Doug6952

Doug6952

Apollo

• Loc: West Milford, NJ

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:01 PM

Doug,

Beo

Beo,

It had some problems with the DEC axis. It made a wobbling noise while slewing. Plus one spot where it sounded to get very tight and made a grinding noise (may be dirt in the gear). When balancing, it seemed to be out of round. It would move freely and then bind a bit and then move freely again.

Now I have a tripod and scopes sitting in the garage but no mount head. While my mount is being repaired I'll probablly have some of the clearest skies and when it gets back nothing but clouds.

#13 marius strom

marius strom

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bellevue, WA

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:37 PM

Mine arrived today, just two hours ago ... and we're forecasted for clear skies in Seattle tomorrow night.

The thing is a beast. Much bigger and heavier than I anticipated. My 8" LX50 OTA is nothing for this mount.

-M

#14 chollman

chollman

Mariner 2

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:00 PM

Beast is good! Nothing better than a solid eq mount. That is a good sign. Enjoy! Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

#15 QueueCT

QueueCT

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:03 AM

See, now I'm jealous. I don't take delivery until Tuesday. At least it looks like some good weather next week.

John

#16 Greg K.

Greg K.

• Administrators
  • Loc: Clifton Park, NY

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:02 AM

Enjoy your new CGEMs! Hope you like it as much as I do.

#17 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:17 PM

The couple of times I've had mine out have been super!! New moon in two weeks... Perfect timing!!
I just hope none of your new gear curse drifts this far.... :whistle:

#18 Moggi1964

Moggi1964

Vendor - Astro Laugh

• Vendors
  • Loc: Madison. NJ. USA

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:01 PM

Mine will arrive on Tuesday :)

I am going to replace the spreader with an upgraded version. I wil let you know about it.

#19 chollman

chollman

Mariner 2

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:41 AM

My CGEM arrived yesterday. Yes, it is a beast but still quite manageable, as long as you put up and take down in pieces. I installed the ADM dual-saddle and it looks great on the mount. It is heavier than the celestron saddle but to me, is nicer looking. I think I will have to paint the RA and DEC locks orange so I can actually see them at night. Other than that, the mount arrived in perfect condition with no damage. One incident happened when using the cg5 bar in the dual saddle. It came loose because, in my opinion the groove is not deep enough, so I had to grind down the back of my bar to make it fit better. I had to catch my scope as it fell off the mount. Not expecting that one. So make sure your cg5 bar is flat on the back so it will seat in the saddle properly. Also, this mount is loud when slewing. Think coffee grinder. Mostly caused by the RA motor. The DEC motor not nearly as loud. But it is fast and accurate. Accuracy depends on how well you star align. Other highlites are the latitude gauge plate on the side of the mount. Very nicely graduated, and accurate too. First impressions are that this is a nice mount for the money. I need to use it more, as I only had one night (of insect bites) with it. But I believe it to be a mount you will have a lot of fun with. I know I will! Charlie

#20 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

• Loc: CO. Aurora, USA

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:24 PM

I got mine yeaterday as well. As everyone has been saying "Boy this thing is heavy." It will not be easy for me to move. I have a few medical problems, but I will find a way around this problem. I have not had a chance to get it out under the stars yet. Rain'n cats and dogs here. :cloudy: One of the first things that I noticed was the placement of the HC and all the other plugs. I can see a problem with cord wrap. What does everyone else think about this. Anyway, I think that this mount will be a big inprovement over my CG5. I think it will do very well for AP as well.
Dan

#21 chollman

chollman

Mariner 2

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:22 PM

Get a friend to help you with this mount. As far as cord wrap. Yes you have to walk around with the scope a little is what I noticed. Anyway this scope will give you a lot of exercise. That is why I would suggest this is a two man operation. Unless you want a good workout. Charlie

#22 marius strom

marius strom

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bellevue, WA

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:19 AM

I'm definitely interested in your "upgraded spreader" - I'm not at all a fan of what Celestron put on the stock tripod.

#23 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:21 AM

Dan, On the cord wrap issue... Using NexRemote you can install a wireless gamepad (I went with the Logitech Rumblepad), and cords are no longer an issue. I also tidied up the camera/guide camera cables with some wrap and routed back towards the center of the mount, and haven't had any issues there either.

#24 jouster

jouster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:55 AM

Come on guys....Pics!

#25 chollman

chollman

Mariner 2

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:47 PM

Here is a pic of cgem with ADM dual saddle and orange knobs. 8" F/5 newt for photography. Charlie

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics