Photo

Can you put a 8" Newt (R200SS) on a Minitower?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 JimWaterford

JimWaterford

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:37 PM

Does the Minitower handle a 28" long 8" dia. tube and can you see into the EP easily? Just curious you thoughts on this set up. Regards, Jim

#2 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:46 PM

If the weight of the OTA does not exceed 25 lbs. by much, you're good to go. I just bought one of these and if the clouds ever clear out, I may just get to use it.

#3 Lenardo

Lenardo

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:59 PM

shouldn't be a problem

the r200ss weighs 12lbs

#4 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:36 AM

shouldn't be a problem

the r200ss weighs 12lbs

I tried a Mini-Tower with a Vixen 100mm f/9 ED refractor that weighs around 11-12 lbs. with all the accessories. The tube is 36" long and all of the weight was at the both ends (similar weight distribution to your R200SS).

Frankly, I wasn't impressed with the Mini-Tower. It was a bit wobbly even with this light load. It was a lower frequency vibration and didn't really interfere with focusing, but I expected a bit better from a mount rated for 25 lbs. (I used the counterweight and balanced the mount. All the screws were tight on the tripod. The vibration came from the azimuth bearing.)

The main problem with the performance was noticeable vibration in the eyepiece while tracking objects. At 180X, there was a definite blur to everything I was looking at, and you could see some blurring at 130X.

I returned the Mini-tower and replaced it with a Celestron CG-5 ASGT. More stable, no vibration while tracking, and with the Celestron GPS unit it is about the same price as the Mini-Tower. But it is bigger, heavier, noisier and takes a bit longer to set up. I'm using the CG-5 with a Vixen VMC200L that is about 15-16 lbs. with the accessories, and the CG-5 handles that well.

Maybe I got a bad copy of the Mini-Tower (and there seem to be quite a few of those), but the CG-5 seems to be a better choice in this price class.

#5 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:28 PM

I put my R200 on our MT and it worked fine, I had no vibration while tracking but their was a bit when swapping EP's & focusing. The set up was stable right up to the time the wind started to kicked up.

Hope that helps

Bob

#6 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:07 PM

Frankly, I wasn't impressed with the Mini-Tower. It was a bit wobbly even with this light load. It was a lower frequency vibration and didn't really interfere with focusing, but I expected a bit better from a mount rated for 25 lbs. (I used the counterweight and balanced the mount. All the screws were tight on the tripod. The vibration came from the azimuth bearing.)
============================================================
There were some "development problems" with some of the early models of the Mini Tower, but much of that has been worked out by now. There is a dealer (Trapezium Telescopes) who will actually test your Mini Tower before he sends it to you. He actually logs several hours with the mount to insure that all is working properly and, of course, does the initial set up so you will not need to do it. He then gives the buyer a guaranty that the mount will operate flawlessly and he stands behind it. All of this is absolutely FREE. I know because I just bought one from him 2 weeks ago.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics