Photo

LX50 mount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Randall s voyles

Randall s voyles

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:51 PM

This is my first post at cloudynights, so my expectations are pretty high. I have 2 scopes under 150mm in aperture so when this deal fell into my lap, I couldn't pass it up. A Meade 10" LX50. The first night out, it worked fine. But then,it hasn't worked since. I have done some research and the problem is in the circuit board. Without going to an extreme makeover, is there a simple aftermarket fix? I would really appreciate some knowledgable advice... Someone on the planet has to have the answer.. Randy

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:08 AM

This is my first post at cloudynights, so my expectations are pretty high. I have 2 scopes under 150mm in aperture so when this deal fell into my lap, I couldn't pass it up. A Meade 10" LX50. The first night out, it worked fine. But then,it hasn't worked since. I have done some research and the problem is in the circuit board. Without going to an extreme makeover, is there a simple aftermarket fix? I would really appreciate some knowledgable advice... Someone on the planet has to have the answer.. Randy

If it really and truly is the circuit board, and you (or somebody you know) can't repair that circuit board, no, there's really no alternative other than removing the scope from the fork mount and placing it on a German equatorial. But, before you go that fur, check my Meade Uncensored Yahoogroup and the LX50 Yahoogroup. It's possible someone there may have an idea as to how to fix your problem without a Tubectomy. ;)

#3 Randall s voyles

Randall s voyles

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:59 PM

One alternative would be to pick up a used base drive..Another alternative would be to put a rheostat on the R.A. motor, and use the manual alignment knobs. I refuse to throw in the towel. Sure, money will fix anything. We can send a man to the moon, but can't fix an electrical glitch? Maybe I can ask Obama for a grant to do a study, think maybe a couple of million will do?
Randy

#4 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:55 PM

There are still a few people who are in business to repair these telescopes. It may cost you more than you're willing to spend but you can still get them fixed. One of these people often posts here...I'm sure someone will give you a name.

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:54 AM

Sure, money will fix anything. We can send a man to the moon, but can't fix an electrical glitch? Maybe I can ask Obama for a grant to do a study, think maybe a couple of million will do?
Randy

Just my 2 cents...if you want help, you'd prob'ly attract more flies with honey than you would by vinegar. Leave the politics at home.
:gramps:

As for your problem, you didn't explain exactly what was going on, but I doubt a "rheostat" will help.

Again, if you believe it is the circuit board, check that out in the normal way, looking for burnt components and traces and testing components (with a multimeter).

Before doing that I'd check the LX50 group and see if someone has had the same problem.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics