New CG5 First Light

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 larryo

larryo

Vostok 1

• Loc: Deep south

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:46 AM

I finally got my SV 80mmED out on the new CG5 last night. The evening was very pleasant, dry, light wind, and nothing but mosquitos (more about that later.) First, I don't understand why so many complain about the CG5 noise. What noise? There's a pleasant whirring while slewing, not noisy or offensive at all. When tracking, it's dead silent. And the tracking was first rate. It held Luna's Petavius crater dead center in the 3.2mm BO/TMB (175x) for 45 minutes. It would easily have held longer except I moved on to other things. If it continues to perform like this, this mount is definately a keeper. I'm looking forward to using this for sketching and studying objects.

Set up for a GEM newbie was okay. The SV clamshell foot clamps securely into the CG5 mounting platform. Balance was a bit tricky, as it came with a single 11 lb. weight and for a SV 80mmED that's a little much, even when slid all the way up the counterweight shaft (don't go too far, the weight will contact/interfere with the motor casing.) The alignment procedure is (sort of) straight forward. It WANTS to use Sirius and Capella for the two star alignment. I would have preferred to use Arcturus as well but couldn't figure that out. Still, after figuring out how to get it to move around, I had great fun slewing from the moon, to Capella, to Sirius, to Arcturus, to Alcor, back to the moon and getting the selected object automatically centered in the fov. I selected a few Messiers, saw (sort of) M35, M36, M37, couldn't see M81 but I can't from my neighborhood anyway. The big thing here is to learn all the ins and outs of the Nexstar software. There's a lot of power there. I like what a friend refers to as "brainless astronomy".

Oh yeah, the mosquitos. They were eating me alive until I got out my Off lantern. It has a candle and mosquito repellant in it. Light the candle, put it under my tripod, and 15 minutes later, no mosquitos. Fantastic.

Larry
New Orleans

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:56 AM

Did you get Heather out there with you or did the Skeeters keep her away? :grin: If we can get our schedules to work out, we need to get together and set up all the goodies and have a mini star party.

Congratulations! You've now entered the world of viewing...not hunting. :lol:

David

#3 larryo

larryo

Vostok 1

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:56 AM

She came out in her pajamas (any excuse not to go to bed.) That Thermacell lantern was great. Don't know why I didn't get around to using it before :confused:.

Yes, we need to get a star party together (adult beverages included). Is your yard any less light polluted than mine?

Larry

#4 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:08 PM

Probably not, but it does have an observatory with a 12" Meade in it. :grin: The bad part is the stuff in the south that's low on the horizon are blotted out by a phalanx of pines. :mad:

I've been using the Thermocell since I built the obs. It's not 100% effective, but it sure does cut down on the squadrons of biters. I still use repellent, though. After seeing what our club member John went through with West Nile, I'm real careful.

David

#5 Dubboy

Dubboy

Vanguard

• Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

...The bad part is the stuff in the south that's low on the horizon are blotted out by a phalanx of pines. :mad:...

David

Hi David,
How about smearing some of your blood on the pine trees
...the skeeters will migrate to the trees, gnaw on them, and...voila'...no more blocked view to the south! :foreheadslap:

#6 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:57 PM

...The bad part is the stuff in the south that's low on the horizon are blotted out by a phalanx of pines. :mad:...

David

Hi David,
How about smearing some of your blood on the pine trees
...the skeeters will migrate to the trees, gnaw on them, and...voila'...no more blocked view to the south! :foreheadslap:

If it worked, I'd gladly give a pint!!

I see an Irish Setter as your avatar. I had a female named Shannon. Far and away, the best dog I've ever owned. I do miss her. :bawling:

David

#7 Dubboy

Dubboy

Vanguard

• Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:34 PM

I see an Irish Setter as your avatar. I had a female named Shannon. Far and away, the best dog I've ever owned. I do miss her. :bawling:

David

How did we go from the CG5 to dogs??

Larry, the CG5 go-to is a great mount. I'm really enjoying mine and I was sort of a bonehead when it came to using a go-to. You can use any star for alignment. When the computer picks one, and you don't want it, simply hit "undo" and then go through the list until you find the one you want. However, I've found that the computer is smarter than me (no great feat :foreheadslap:)and it usually picks the best choice.

David...yeah...the Irish are a great breed. Goofy and smart at the same time. Whatever you do, DON'T spoil them!

Attached Files

#8 averen

averen

Vendor Main Sequence Software

• Vendors
  • Loc: Austin TX

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:59 PM

CG5 is a great mount! I love mine!

The offending noise happens when slewing at rate 9. It's not deafening, but it's definitely enough to break the silence when moving at full tilt! Rate 8 is actually pretty quiet on my mount. Rate 9 is loud. Tracking is silent, pretty much anything under rate 7 is inaudible.

Jared

#9 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:37 PM

David

How did we go from the CG5 to dogs??

Larry, the CG5 go-to is a great mount. I'm really enjoying mine and I was sort of a bonehead when it came to using a go-to. You can use any star for alignment. When the computer picks one, and you don't want it, simply hit "undo" and then go through the list until you find the one you want. However, I've found that the computer is smarter than me (no great feat :foreheadslap:)and it usually picks the best choice.

David...yeah...the Irish are a great breed. Goofy and smart at the same time. Whatever you do, DON'T spoil them!

Thanks for the pictures, Don! Looks like one of the pups has a gray beard like your's truly. :shakecane: :grin:

David

#10 johnfdean

johnfdean

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: southern tip of Illinois

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for the info. I am stuck between shopping for the mount I want vs the mount I can afford.

#11 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for the info. I am stuck between shopping for the mount I want vs the mount I can afford.

Does THAT ever sound familiar!! :grin:

David

#12 larryo

larryo

Vostok 1

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:11 AM

Give the folks at Woodland Hills a call. I got an unbelievable deal on my new ASGT from them. Over a month ago they said they had 20 new CG5s in stock and the sale would (probably) be over when they're gone.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics