Photo

Losmandy "D" vs "V" series

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 lernerda

lernerda

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:14 PM

I am just aquiring a Tak em200 mount. I was going to put my 8" sct on it, ordered the saddle for the Tak and the dovetail for the SCT .. THEN descided to go the refractor route and got a Stellarvue 102ed (preowned) that came with a clamshell and v-series dovetail.

I could get a saddle for the v-series from ADM for about $70. Or could stay with the D saddle and buy a dovetail. (total coast about $200). What I am asking is the v-series stable enough for astrophotography? (take in consideration the quailty of the tak em200 itself)

#2 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:43 PM

Me personally, having used both (mostly for visual mind you), I would just eat it and go for the D series... the EM200 is a high end, great mount, why "dumb it down" to Vixen level...

NOT that Vixen is bad, just D-series are far sturdier...

but then I am the type who would rather spend a little more upfront, so I don't have to doubt/worry and/or spend more later...

Clear enough skies

#3 lernerda

lernerda

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:49 PM

oh, the whole setup, piggybacked, is less than 20 lbs

#4 Applal

Applal

Messenger

• -----

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:19 PM

ADM does make some saddles that are "dual mount", i.e. they are machined in such a way that you can use the same saddle to mount a D series or a V series without having to change anything.
You may want to inquire of Anthony if he has such a product for your mount, or if he might make one up for you for your mount.

#5 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:32 PM

It is also a lot easier to mount a scope with a D dovetail. That big dovetail just balances better. I almost dropped my 9.25 twice before I finally ditched its V dovetail in favor of a D.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics