First moon sketch (naked eye)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:12 PM

Here's my first go at the moon. I somehow picked full moon for my virgin flight, and given that the lack of shadows didn't seem to favor a telescope, I went with a naked-eye view.

HB pencil on A3 (~ 12" x 16") cartridge paper.

Attached Files

#2 Big Wall

Big Wall

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:24 PM

Very nice!

#3 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:14 PM

Wonderful sketch Jeff! :waytogo: How'd you get that Moon glow effect? I really enjoy the foreground trees and the clouds, great drawing! :bow:

#4 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:41 PM

Jeff,

An excellent observation of the Moon over tree tops. Your introduction to the Earth's closest neighbor is a very good one. Starting from naked eye views then progressing to closer views is a good one. I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:27 PM

Jeff,

That is a beautiful sketch. :cool: It would make a fine castle wall mural.

Frank :)

#6 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:58 AM

Thanks, Joe, Rich, Carlos and Frank!

The moon glow is a bit of a happy accident: the sketch pad is larger than my scanner and I wasn't sure I wanted to tear the sheet out so I just put the whole pad over the scanner and pressed it down in the middle. The result did sort of approximate the moon glow, so I didn't bother to fix it. ;)

-- Jeff.

#7 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:28 AM

Based on some comments on the Irish forums I cropped the bottom to "anchor" the tops of the trees. It seems to center the viewer's focus on the moon better.

Attached Files

#8 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:57 PM

Jeff

Very nice naked eye impression :bow: :bow: :bow: I always wonder when I see these in black graphite if the artist will eventually reverse it in the computer. You mentioned having to scan. Do you have a digital camera? It is yet another easy option to upoad art to the computer (as long as your computer has the camera programming loaded to accept it.)

I really like the way you depicted the foreground trees and the obscurring clouds in the sky.

I look forward to seeing your next night sky landscape.

Mark

PS: Personally I like the original post, as I think it is fine - Also, I still have trouble getting into the IRAS (name?) web site. I'd like to contribute and post there but could not get the site to upload images.

#9 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:56 AM

Thanks, Mark!

I do have a digital camera -- it didn't do very well with the subtle shading in my DSO sketches, but I haven't tried it on something like this one.

The IFAS website put up a sticky at the top of the Observing Reports and Astronomical Sketches forum, which purports to give guidance on sharing images. I'll confess I haven't read it, but you migth give it a try and see if it leads to anything useful.

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics