CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First moon sketch (naked eye)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:12 PM

Here's my first go at the moon. I somehow picked full moon for my virgin flight, and given that the lack of shadows didn't seem to favor a telescope, I went with a naked-eye view.

HB pencil on A3 (~ 12" x 16") cartridge paper.

Attached Files

#2 Big Wall

Big Wall

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:24 PM

Very nice!

#3 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:14 PM

Wonderful sketch Jeff! :waytogo: How'd you get that Moon glow effect? I really enjoy the foreground trees and the clouds, great drawing! :bow:

#4 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Cosmos

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:41 PM

Jeff,

An excellent observation of the Moon over tree tops. Your introduction to the Earth's closest neighbor is a very good one. Starting from naked eye views then progressing to closer views is a good one. I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:27 PM

Jeff,

That is a beautiful sketch. :cool: It would make a fine castle wall mural.

Frank :)

#6 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:58 AM

Thanks, Joe, Rich, Carlos and Frank!

The moon glow is a bit of a happy accident: the sketch pad is larger than my scanner and I wasn't sure I wanted to tear the sheet out so I just put the whole pad over the scanner and pressed it down in the middle. The result did sort of approximate the moon glow, so I didn't bother to fix it. ;)

-- Jeff.

#7 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:28 AM

Based on some comments on the Irish forums I cropped the bottom to "anchor" the tops of the trees. It seems to center the viewer's focus on the moon better.

Attached Files

#8 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:57 PM

Jeff

Very nice naked eye impression :bow: :bow: :bow: I always wonder when I see these in black graphite if the artist will eventually reverse it in the computer. You mentioned having to scan. Do you have a digital camera? It is yet another easy option to upoad art to the computer (as long as your computer has the camera programming loaded to accept it.)

I really like the way you depicted the foreground trees and the obscurring clouds in the sky.

I look forward to seeing your next night sky landscape.

Mark

PS: Personally I like the original post, as I think it is fine - Also, I still have trouble getting into the IRAS (name?) web site. I'd like to contribute and post there but could not get the site to upload images.

#9 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:56 AM

Thanks, Mark!

I do have a digital camera -- it didn't do very well with the subtle shading in my DSO sketches, but I haven't tried it on something like this one.

The IFAS website put up a sticky at the top of the Observing Reports and Astronomical Sketches forum, which purports to give guidance on sharing images. I'll confess I haven't read it, but you migth give it a try and see if it leads to anything useful.

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics