AZ-3

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Megawatt

Megawatt

Messenger

• Loc: Flamborough, Ontario

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:48 AM

I'm 90% set on picking up a 120mm f/5 refractor for portability and wide-field observation, and I'm trying to decide on a mount. The most affordable option would be the 120mm/AZ-3 package offered by Skywatcher. Can anyone attest to the stability of these mounts? I like the idea of slow-motion controls, but stability is of greater importance, perhaps.

#2 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:19 AM

I had the AZ-3 and would not put anything on larger than a ST-80 due to altitude assemmbly(basically a bolt with a nylock nut)inability to hold a larger ota pointing near zenith without slipping back.

The 120ST is bigger than it looks(had one) and would recommend the AZ-4 or AT Voyager mount which have the altitude axis in a better position. :cool:

#3 Joe Aguiar

Joe Aguiar

Vanguard

• Loc: none of your buss

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:25 AM

i have a sw 102/f5 refractor on the az3 and its fine,light weight and its sturdy. the ota is only 6 lbs its not that big or heavy causing ant issues. i am not sure about the 120 thought as its about double the weight but my 102 is good on this mount.

joe

#4 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny California

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:32 AM

I'm now quite happy with the Orion Skyview AZ mount. It's my second one. The first one lacked proper tension. Orion fixed the problem. Granted it lacks slow motion controls, but it's extremely stable and slewing is very smooth. I used it the other night with my C4-R which is a long and rather heavy scope now that I replaced the stock focuser with Moonlite that holds two finders, and was very impressed at how I could effortlessly slew. And I like the ability to be able to mount two different scopes at once.

Attached Files

#5 Megawatt

Megawatt

Messenger

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:15 AM

Thanks, I'll definitely skip the AZ-3 and look into a Skyview or AZ-4. Selection is not as good here as in the US, it seems.

#6 Megawatt

Megawatt

Messenger

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:16 AM

Alternately, would a Porta Mount II work with a scope of this size?

#7 Joe Aguiar

Joe Aguiar

Vanguard

• Loc: none of your buss

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:57 AM

Sky mender makes those AZ4 mounts too but they are like $499 cdn or so. So it depends on what you want to mount of it & how much you want to afford.

I too have thought to get one but without having any slow motion controls to me is just not pratical, they should have put those in the mount.

Joe

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics