CG-5 vs CGEM?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SeattleStarGazer

SeattleStarGazer

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:26 PM

I have a CG-5 with a TV NP127. Primarily viusal user. Would like quick set up and accuracy in Go-TO, good tracking. Any thoughts on whether the CGEM is worth going for?

Thanks!

#2 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:39 AM

How do you like the CG5? If you feel you need more stability, a CGEM would be an improvement, but it would still move when focusing. Other than the cost, the downside would be the increased weight for transportation and setup. The CG5 is almost G&G by comparison. I carry mine assembled to the tripod with coutner weight all in a padded bag. I owned a G11 for 10+ years and am quite satisfied with the CG5 with my 15+ lb OTAs.

Attached Files

#3 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:02 AM

The CGEM is definitely more to handle physically, but the plus side is it's accuracy seems to be better than my CG5. Workmanship and materials are also a step above, but I do notice that I am a bit more selective on the nights I set up. I'm not sure if I can say that it's because the CGEM is a bit more to handle, or I'm just waiting for optimum imaging conditions.

#4 Jim Romanski

Jim Romanski

Vanguard

• Loc: Guilford, Connecticut

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:07 PM

What kind of CG-5 do you have?

I just bought a CG-5GT (with GOTO) to replace my plain vanilla CG-5 with dual axis tracking but no GOTO.

In terms of setup with polar alignment and calibration stars I think the two mounts use the same software. The CGEM has PEC and but otherwise I think the functionality and also the GOTO setup are the same.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics