More advice - 111EDT with cg5, HEQ5, CGEM

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 therocksal

therocksal

Viking 1

• Loc: Everett, WA

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:58 AM

I'm having buyer's remorse..I bought an 111EDT..havent used it yet but the main reason I bought it is for A/P, which I have never even done. Oh, I will love it for moon and planet visual I'm sure.

My issue is I spent so much on the scope and I was going to get an Atlas or CGEM but I really want to save some money till next year.

SO, my question is with this 15 pound scope, with a light KWIQ guider on it, would someone be confident in guiding up to 10-20 minutes with a CG5 or a HEQ5 with eqmod. I know people that love either will give their nod to that mount, but really, for me trying AP for the first time, I'm going to give it a really good try for the next year....would either of the cheaper mounts do a decent job with that weight...I don't know if I'm going to get a mono CCD or use a DSLR.

I just want to save some money but give myself the best chance for decent A/P success and if I love it, I can get one of the other more expensive mounts next year.

THANKS.

#2 scout72

scout72

Apollo

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:31 AM

With rings and finder (Lumicon 50mm which I also use for guiding) my scope is right at 17 lbs, with my DSLR attached and orion autoguider I am just over 20lbs.

Sorry I can't answer your question from experience, but I got an Atlas when I got this setup and wouldn't try 10minutes with this setup on an Eq5, especially not if you are new to this!

But, why not go with 1-2 minute subs? Especially since you are just starting out? That should give you some good experience and decent results to start and I THINK should be doable if very well balanced.

#3 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:53 AM

I ran right at 15 lbs. on my CG5 and could get 10+ minute exposures. Great mount for the price.

#4 groz

groz

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Campbell River, BC

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:28 AM

SO, my question is with this 15 pound scope, with a light KWIQ guider on it, would someone be confident in guiding up to 10-20 minutes with a CG5 or a HEQ5 with eqmod.

I cant speak for the cg5 or the eq5. But, we do have the Skywatcher HEQ5-Pro, with a williams 80 on it, and the Kwiq on top of that. We use that kit with a nikon d-50, and it gives spectacular results on 5 and 6 minute exposures. We haven't pushed it past that simply because our area doesn't allow for 10 minute and longer exposures with that relatively fast scope.

So, the question really becomes this, would I put a larger refractor on top of that mount, with that guide setup? And the answer is, I am watching for a 110 or 120 ed to come available on the local used market at a good price. If/When that happens, I'm going to snap it up, and it'll go on the heq5 in place of the Williams 80, which will move over and replace the ST80 which sits beside the C-8 on my EQ6-Pro.

Will that mount do a good job carrying the 110 to 120mm refractor? Going to be lots of 'opinions' here, but, I'd rather just look at the meat and potatoes. Check out the photos here to see. Quite a bit of stuff there done with a Williams 105, on an heq5, unguided. Those results speak for themselves, and, adding the little 9x50 guider can only improve it.

We've got the EQ6-Pro and the HEQ5-Pro here in our 'his and hers' setup. At various star parties we have had plenty of opportunity to compare them side by side with cg5 class mounts. We also have the skywatcher NEQ3 synscan (eq3 head, synscan control, on the same legs as the HEQ5), it was our first kit, and came bundled with the 127mm mak riding on top. That one tracks amazingly well. It looks and sounds just like the CG5 on the telescope field, and, our experience with it, with payloads appropriate to it's size, it performs on par with the cg5.

So, we have mounts in the same class as all of the ones you are considering, and, here's my bottom line thoughts on the various setups.

CG5 class mount is the least expensive, and, will do fine if you keep the load down to it's capacity. A dslr hanging off the long end of a 110mm refractor is to much for it. It's the least expensive route to a photography capable mount, but, will provide endless frustration if you hang to much off it. Been there, done that.

HEQ5 is the best value for the dollar when looking at an astrophotography kit that's within the capacity of the mount. It'll carry the 110mm refractor, and, the kwiq setup will be ample to guide it. Ours is currently carrying a williams 80, but will likely get a larger refractor sometime over the next year.

EQ6-Pro is the mount to go for if the load gets to be to much for the HEQ5. Mine is currently carrying an 8 inch SCT with the ST80 in a side by side configuration. With a starshoot autoguider in the ST80, it gives pinpoint tracking, and doesn't struggle at all. This one will likely get a larger scope in the future too, but, that's not in the short term plans right now.

#5 therocksal

therocksal

Viking 1

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I will most likely go with the non goto Sirius (HEQ5) since I don't do much visual around my light polluted neighborhood...I usually just pull out my Alt/az for quick looks at the moon/saturn.

Since I will buy a big dob in a year or two, the mount will mostly be used for A/P only and since I'm going to be guiding and using a laptop already, I might as well get the non goto and use EQMOD and save that $300.

#6 therocksal

therocksal

Viking 1

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:44 PM

Ok...I have a chance to get a used Sirius with the hand controller for $800. The guy said he had it regreased and he has used it for about 2 years with an AP140. I saw the images on his gallery (beautiful) and he said he bought an Atlas as an upgrade but thinks for the price the Sirius is an excellent mount overall.

I kind of like buying a used mount, something which has been used and works...yes, no warranty but at least it has been through the ringer, so to speak.

Would you guys buy a used mount? I have bought used scopes but something so mechanical which has more of a chance to breakdown compared to a scope, with no warranty...

..thoughts?

#7 scout72

scout72

Apollo

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:10 PM

Make sure it is the goto hand controller, not just the dual axis hand controller (these sell for $850 NEW)

#8 Cyclop_si

Cyclop_si

Viking 1

• Loc: Slovenia

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:37 AM

Sirius (HEQ5) is good mount... look at March 2009 DSLR Challenge Winner, where 200mm (8") Newton was riding on Sirius mount http://www.cloudynig...sb/5/o/all/vc/1

#9 therocksal

therocksal

Viking 1

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:37 AM

Well...I just bought a used Atlas with goto so now I can try eqmod or use the hand controller. I'm glad I got the bigger mount...it's nice to have more of a choice of lots of different scopes with a good mount...of course, that means I'll be spending more and more...dont tell the queen!

#10 tidroplane

tidroplane

Apollo

• Loc: Everett, Wa. USA

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:59 PM

Good for you on the purchase of the Atlas mount, if you`re serious on doing Astro Photography, the mount is the most important part of your imaging setup. As a rule, I like to have no more than half the weight that the mount is rated for, this should be no problem for your 111, good luck and have fun with your new imaging setup!

#11 therocksal

therocksal

Viking 1

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:18 PM

Thanks!

I went back and forth a million times but I've decided to get a modded 450 or 500d....to start out. I thought about a QHY8 or an SSPRO but I'll save a bit with the DSLR and sometimes I might just be doing some visual and maybe want to pull out the DSLR for some quick unguided shots.

BUT, I do want to try the CCD approach and will probably buy a cheap mono to get used to that system.

Very excited to try some AP this Fall!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics