• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 starbob1

starbob1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: IN

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:41 PM

I finally got a clear night to use my brand new CGE.This is my 3rd night with it.Well after taking 60 1min subs of M3.I notice I get 4 good subs then 2 with stars trailing.This pattern repeats itself on all 60 subs,4-2-4-2 ect.My vixen would get 6 good subs and the 7th would be bad.I assume this is the PE of the mount.This is with no guiding just the 2 star alignment followed by 4 star calibration' polar align then another 2 star and calibration again.So anyone up to explaining how to record the PE.Do I use a star and make correction with the slew buttons using a crosshair ep's while recording PE for 8 min.Thanks for any help BOB :help:

#2 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:05 PM

Well, if you have guiding that you could use, you can let the guider do all the work.
But if you do not, then you need a nice high power reticule EP and a bit of time to do it.
Basically, you must select a star near the equator-meridian and put it in the cross hair or square and keep it there for the whole training period using the hand controller. The more accurate your corrections the better the PEC will work. If you do not get good results, then try again until you do.
Make sure you have the scope balanced with a bias to the East, maybe a pound or so heavy to the East side.
Blueman

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics