Photo

CG-5GT gps question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 pizzaboy71

pizzaboy71

Mariner 2

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:01 PM

How helpful is this gps add on ? does it help the mount track any better ?

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:08 PM

How helpful is this gps add on ? does it help the mount track any better ?

No. Its only function is to enter date, time, and location information. The mount will track precisely the same even if that data is not entered at all.

#3 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:02 AM

The time, date and location don't effect the tracking? I was unaware of this. Then what is the point of entering these things into the hand controller?

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:07 AM

The time, date and location don't effect the tracking? I was unaware of this. Then what is the point of entering these things into the hand controller?

They aid in star alignment, which is required for goto operation.

#5 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:47 AM

Specifically, they help the mount to know where to point to find the initial alignment stars. The date and time information is also necessary to find solar system objects.

The location, date and time information is not needed for doing goto on deep sky objects and it's not needed for tracking. Tracking accuracy is solely determined by the polar alignment. When I use my PST during the day, I often just set the mount up pointed north and turn it on and pick quick alignment. It will track the sun just fine that way.

You can put totally bogus information in as the location, date and time if you want to. When the mount points to the first alignment star, it will be way off - but if you go ahead and center the alignment stars anyway, the mount will point to anything except solar system objects.

Another piece of trivia: The polar alignment accuracy does not affect goto performance. You can set the mount up in a pretty random way and do two alignment stars. When you do a goto, it will hit the target. But if polar alignment is way off, tracking will not be good.

-Wade

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics