• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 mypontiac

mypontiac

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Tx.

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:31 PM

My vote: AstroTech Voyager w/ Celestron CG5 tripod (2") & a couple of Manny Myles' mods. (works very good)

Can I just keep the tripod that comes with it?

Sean

#27 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny California

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:37 PM

Starlighter,

I've thought about getting another dual scope mount and have been considering the Giro III. I looked at the Skyview AZ at a dealer awhile back and completely nixed the idea because of the tension issue. You couldn't lock it down and you couldn't get the tension properly adjusted so you could smoothly slew and at the same time change EPs without having the scope flop.

Sounds like they've corrected this??? If so, I'd think this could be a very nice mount as it's quite stable and aesthetically it looks great. Wish they'd sell just the mount as I'd like to try it on my Gibraltar tripod. :)

They fixed it.

#28 mypontiac

mypontiac

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:21 PM

So once its ballanced it will work even with going to different size EPs?

Sean

#29 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:40 PM

If you mean with the Porta, the answer is yes.

#30 mypontiac

mypontiac

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:12 PM

How about the Skyview AZ ?

Sean

#31 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:16 PM

For my ED80 which is much lighter than your TV85 I was considering the Portamount, Mini Porta, and AT Voyager. I did not consider any other grab and go mounts because I wanted the slow motion controls, turns out that was the right decision too, for me anyway. I finally got the AT Voyager mainly because it was on sale for $250 at the time, but also because it allows you to move the arm up to a vertical position that is much better for daytime viewing and the Portas did not allow that. I am very happy with the AT Voyager, its "push-to" performance in up/down direction is a bit jumpy but after using it a while I realized that is not important at all. I don't use Manny's Mods on mine but they look like great additions to the mount and might be more useful with a heavier scope than mine to balance out the weight better.

Attached Files

#32 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:57 PM

How about the Skyview AZ ?

Sean

Like I suggested earlier in this thread, it's a good, solid mount. Orion fixed the lack of proper tension problem. When I use it with the TV-85, I hardly notice any vibration. Those 1.75" tubular steel legs eat the flimsy aluminum ones. Both the Vixen Porta and the AT Voyager should chuck them in favor of these legs. The SkyWatcher AZ4 uses them and that mount is not at all expensive. It lists for $250 so I'm sure both Vixen and AT could include them and not charge extra.

By the way, I just added a bubble level to my Skyview.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics