CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Alt-az mount warning

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 brianb11213

brianb11213

Cosmos

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:59 AM

Nearly had a nasty accident with my WO FLT 110 / EZ Touch last night. I was carrying it "over my shoulder" to a better location to see an object low in the east, the tube swung round & clouted me on the head hard enough for me to see many unfamiliar constellations, in fact I was stunned for a few minutes and could easily have dropped the whole caboodle.

No damage to scope or mount, only a bump on the head which would probably have been worse if I hadn't been wearing a nice thick wollen beanie.

Must remember to check that the axes are tightened down before carrying the scope this way in the future.

#2 Chase McNiss

Chase McNiss

Vostok 1

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:37 AM

Brian,

Glad you didn't drop anything and that you are OK but wondering if you came up with any names for the constellations you saw. Thanks for the heads up. :smirk:

C

#3 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:27 AM

The exact same thing happened to me only with my Portamount with the SV102ED mounted.
I had loosened the tension on the azimuth since that scope needed it. As I picked it up, the scope swung around and clobbered me good! I though I was seeing stars only not through the scope! :tonofbricks:

Fortunately, I was able to set the rig down before I nearly fell down. I ended up with a nice bump on my noggin.

So people, like Brian said, be careful when you pick up an AZ mount with the scope still attached, especially if it's a heavier one. Make sure the tension is secure.

#4 antilles72

antilles72

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:53 AM

Thanks for the heads up as well. I always keep it tightened anyway, but I am human...

#5 GShaffer

GShaffer

Gemini

• Moderators

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:46 PM

Better yet.....remove the OTA and carry them independantly..... your noggin and perhaps ultimately your pocket book will thank you :)

#6 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:09 PM

Sorry about the bump on your head, but at least your scope and mount are ok. :)

I did the same thing with my AR5 and Skyview Pro Alt-Az, I didn't tighten the tension while moving the set-up and the AR5 swung around and hit me in the head. :foreheadslap: I survived and so did my equipment. :waytogo:

#7 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:09 PM

Well, the problem for me is I sometimes only have to move the mount several feet. That's because the object I'm viewing has gone behind the limb of a tree. To go to the effort of removing the scope each time would make it a royal pain.

#8 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:16 PM

Well, the problem for me is I sometimes only have to move the mount several feet. That's because the object I'm viewing has gone behind the limb of a tree. To go to the effort of removing the scope each time would make it a royal pain.

Same for me. :smirk:

#9 GShaffer

GShaffer

Gemini

• Moderators

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:28 PM

While I understand your point..... 10 feet or 1000 feet doesnt really matter if you knock yourself out or do major damage to the equipment as a result.....but then all life is a gamble :)

#10 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:22 PM

OUCH!

I took a good whack to the head when the 11lb weight attached to my Giro swung around while I was bringing it back into the house.

Luckily I have a thick head...luckily I have a brick head...

:grin:

The bar counterweight now rests on my shoulder whenever I carry the tripod around. ;)

#11 brianb11213

brianb11213

Cosmos

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:09 AM

wondering if you came up with any names for the constellations you saw.

The Lumpy Head, The Wobbly Knees and The Compensation Lawyer ;)

Seriously, though, it looks as though I'm not the only one to have had this particular accident ... if I've helped anyone else avoid similar, or worse, I'm happy.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics