Photo

Is the Orion SkyView AZ difficult to move at mags

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 mypontiac

mypontiac

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:26 AM

I am considering the Orion SkyView AZ mount for a TV85.

I am used to dial controls, but this unit seems pretty sweet. :grin:

Please advise of your experiences in using viewing at high mag. Wondering how sensitive it is to completely pushing out your object.

Thanks,

Sean

#2 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:33 AM

When I owned mine it was no trouble moving around at high powers with my AR5.

#3 mypontiac

mypontiac

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:38 AM

Just a slight touch???

Sean

#4 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:43 AM

I wouldn't say a slight touch, but it required very little movement. I think for your scope, the TV85, I would go with the Voyager. Can't go wrong with the slo-mo controls. :)

#5 mypontiac

mypontiac

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:02 PM

And Manny's Mounts????? ;)

Sean

#6 mypontiac

mypontiac

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:04 PM

How about the Vixen Porta II Mount?

Looks nice and simple.

Sean

#7 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:41 PM

I'd go with the Porta II.

As far as how much effort is needed to slew using the Orion Skyview...the answer is if I balance a scope before using the mount with it, not that much effort. I'm getting to where I can accurately track Saturn by just a slight push on the diagonal.

I really like the Orion. They fixed the tension problem plus this is a very stable mount. Far more stable than the Porta or the Voyager.

#8 mypontiac

mypontiac

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:58 PM

Is there any adjustment needed when you go from 1.25" to big 2" EPs?

Sean

#9 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:12 PM

With the Porta or the Orion?

Nothing with the Porta. There's enough stiction to hold the scope in place. The trick is to always make sure the scope is balanced from the start. But switching out say a 1.25" lightweight eyepiece for a two pound 41mm 2" Panoptic has not cased the scope to plummet and does not require me to rebalance.

Now with the Orion, If I back off on the tension to where it's pretty much not engaged and I haven't balanced the scope after changing out a lightweight eyepiece for a heavyweight, the scope will drop by the diagonal end. What I do if I change eyepieces is lock down the tension knob, change out the eyepiece, loosen it and then rebalance. Then I can slew effortlessly.

#10 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:03 PM

As I've noted in other posts, my experience with many of these mounts that don't have slo-mo controls is the stiction when starting to pan and the issue of scope flop when changing from light to heavy EPs if you don't have the Alt axis firmly locked down.

The Skyview AZ that I checked out at a dealer needed help. hopefully Orion has corrected this as Starlighter has noted they have. I'm still advocating the Tak Teegul-Lapides as a mid weight AZ mount which is superb, especially when linked with a good tripod.

Lots of opinions, huh?! :grin:

#11 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:25 PM

They've definitely fixed it. In fact, the Orion tech told me that the first batch issued had a faulty part inside that made it near impossible to create enough tension to keep a scope in place when changing out eyepieces. Orion has a retrofit available for free to anyone who bought the older version and kept it.

I've used mine for a week now and so far, so good. Once a scope is perfectly balanced, unless it has a large finder mounted on the clamshell which tends to throw off the balance, I can slew with ease. Absolutely no stiction. Just a gentle push of the diagonal and I'm looking at where I want to be. It's sort of spoiled me. I haven't used the Portamount that much since getting the new Orion.

#12 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:46 PM

Thanks Starlighter,

Thanks for the report---I'm shure it's of lots of potential value to other buyers and gives me pause as to where I'm going with my next purchase :lol:!

#13 drshr

drshr

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:28 AM

I have found that the bigger and longer the scope, the easier it is to pan and balance. My 80mm is quite twitchy. My 8"er is perfect with no problem changing EP's.
I have two of these mounts and they perform well but the one holding my 8" and 6" works better. My Voyager now is retired.
This mount likes some weight. Load it up!

#14 Talonmane

Talonmane

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:32 AM

I've been using the SkyView AZ for a couple weeks with the EON 120 and, as others have said, when I balance it well, movement is very smooth; high power adjustments are not bad, certainly no worse than any other without using manual or electronic slo-mo. I overcompensate a little sometimes, but get used to it after a few minutes.. In order to help a bit with the weight difference when changing eyepieces or adding a PowerMate, i use one of the TeleVue heavy brass 1.25 to 2 adaptors.

At the end of the day I still prefer using an equatorial manually over an alt-az, but the alt-az is the only one of the two I have that is light enough to call it grab and go (unless I add the pier extension, then it's just as heavy as the Sirius...but the extension sure is handy and real eye grabber)

#15 drshr

drshr

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:09 AM

I have the same dilemma with the extension. They look great and will give extra comfort and save moving mount around near zenith.
On the other hand, weight and wobbles :bawling:

#16 Nick-Sydney

Nick-Sydney

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:01 AM

Sorry for crashing the thread, but has anyone compared this with the Giro 3 or WO Ez? I'm considering one of these to replace my Voyager.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics