More observations on the Orion Skyview AZ mount

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny California

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:06 PM

Well, I've had this new one with the tension problem fixed for about a week now and I've used it virtually every single night I had clear skies. I love it! It's extremely well made. Yet it's still light enough for me to pick it up with one hand.

Providing I balance the scope, slewing is effortless. The only problem I've come across and I think this would be the same with any similar type of AZ mount and that's with a couple of scopes where the finders are mounted midway on the OTA, the point of balance shifts as I near zenith. At that point if I have the alt tension totally freed up, the scope wants to drop by the diagonal end. I can address this by either rebalancing or adjusting the tension knob. Other than that, I haven't had a problem.

It's nice to be able to use two scopes at once. I can mount a widefield on one side and on the other, a scope with a longer focal length. And the process of aligning both scopes in the alt so they point towards the same object is pretty easy. There are three hex nuts on the left dovetail. Loosening them and then aligning the left side to match the right only takes a couple of minutes. The only problem is it's not possible to tilt the left side so that it points exactly at the same object in the azimuth. It can only go up and down, not right and left. So because of the parallax, looking though either scope will require a slight shift in the direction of the azimuth to center the same object.

I highly recommend this mount. Orion listened to the complaints and made their Chinese supplier address them.

#2 antilles72

antilles72

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:19 PM

I am glad the mount has worked out for you. I used the EZ Touch last night and it was a joy as well. No worries with switching out eyepieces and I carry scope and mount/tripod out all in one trip. I even tracked a couple of airplanes and it was a breeze.

#3 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny California

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:38 PM

Just make sure when you carry the mount around with a scope attached that the scope doesn't swing around and bonk you on the noggin like it did to me. I'd rather see stars the proper way, not in an artificially induced manner.

#4 antilles72

antilles72

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:00 PM

Oh, the scope is tightened down and pointed to the zenith when I am carrying it out. There are already enough constellations out there for me to learn.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics