5 replies to this topic

#1 Leigh

Leigh

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cranleigh, UK

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:41 AM

Ladies and gents

I've been having serious astrophoto tracking issues using my LX90 on its fork mounts. Even using DSI-WCS and the PEC alignment i'm not able to get much more than 10 seconds per sub (and thats pushing my luck). Average time - 5.7sec per sub

I've been toying with the idea of stripping away the forks and replacing the mount with either of the afore mentioned mount options. My biggest question is how you actually go about getting the OTA onto the mount.
I have seen a number of expensive mounting options from Altair Astro which would run to well over £400 for the whole SCT pack.
I've also seen ATM options using steel bands attached to a milled aluminium block.

What options do people recommend?? are there alternatives

Thanks in advance

Leigh

#2 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:25 AM

ADM, Ken Dauzat, and others make saddle blocks for the Synta mounts that will convert the Vixen dovetail slot into a receiver for the Losmandy D style dovetail that can be installed easily on the OTA.

I converted my old 10" LX-5 OTA to mount on an Atlas EQ-G this way.

#3 groz

groz

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Campbell River, BC

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:42 PM

Couldn't you just attach a vixen dovetail to the ota, and be done with it ? My c-8 has a vixen dovetail bar attached, and it rides on my EQ6-Pro with no issues. The dovetail bars can be had from local supply for about $20. I just dont know if the meade optical tube will need to be drilled to attach it. If so, another option, just get a set of rings that'll take the ota, and mount them on the vixen dovetail, which attaches directly to the mount.

#4 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:24 PM

You're probably right. The weight of my 10" OTA makes the saddle plate necessary; not so for the 8".

#5 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

• Loc: PA

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:45 AM

You should be able to get subs longer than 10 seconds with the LX90. When I had my LX90, I was able to get at least 30 seconds subs with a 80mm scope riding on top (of course it was balanced well). I believe there were even instances when I was able to get a few 45 sec subs in. Keep in mind that there are limits to how long you can image in alt/az mode and you will need to get a wedge for your mount to take subs longer than a minute.

#6 Jason1970

Jason1970

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:18 AM

Hello,

Im trying to fit my LX90 8" tube onto my HEQ5 mount. Can someone please advice if I should use rings or a bracket to support?

Thanks

Jason

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics