Photo

Question about pier flip w/ Sirius EQ-G mount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 DFEmery

DFEmery

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:03 AM

I have a Sirius EQ-G mount that I operate using ASCOM/EQMOD from my laptop. While trying to set up MaxPoint (part of the MaxImDL package), I ran across the following parameters that I need to enter:

How far will the mount track beyond the meridian before the mount "flips" to the other side of the pier, or, how far beyond the meridian is the mount permitted to slew (either E>W or W>E) before it "flips" sides? (The default is 5-degrees).

There is also a question asking for the backlash in arcsec (the default is 60 arcsec).

Does anybody know that values should be entered for my mount? I can find no information in the Sirius manual that gives either flip limits or typical backlash...

Thanks!

#2 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:29 PM

The mount will not "flip" on its own. If you are tracking an object in the east that crosses the meridian, the mount will continue to track until:
1) it runs into its hard stops
2) the OTA runs into the pier
That is unless you issue a goto command to the same object. Then the scope will "flip". The mount limits are only to prevent the mount from "slewing" to objects that would cause the OTA to crash into the pier.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics