Goto Mount Rotation When Slewing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jlicquia

jlicquia

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:06 AM

Question from a newbee using his first Goto mount.

The scope is a TV-85 mounted on an Ioptron Mini Tower.

As an example, sometimes after I pick an object I want to go to, the mount will slew 300 degrees to the left rather than 60 degrees to the right.

Also, if the scope/mount are facing south and I want to go to Polaris, for example it will rotate verically leaving the eyepiece/finder pointing toward the ground. Shouldn't the rotation be 180 degrees along the Azimuth axis, then the final Dec adjustment.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just the way it's supposed to be?

Thanks,

Jim

#2 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:31 PM

My LX200 did that to prevent cords from wrapping around the scope. I am not sure why a Mini Tower would need to do that unless there are some internal wires that could get twisted.

#3 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

• Loc: New York

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:20 AM

for example it will rotate verically leaving the eyepiece/finder pointing toward the ground. Shouldn't the rotation be 180 degrees along the Azimuth axis

That's because you had the scope set up upside down from the start. I bet with the scope & mount set at park and you press the up key the scope moves down and you press the down key the scope moves up. I had the same thing going on until the light bulb went off. :foreheadslap:

Bob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics