CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Goto Mount Rotation When Slewing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 jlicquia

jlicquia

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:06 AM

Question from a newbee using his first Goto mount.

The scope is a TV-85 mounted on an Ioptron Mini Tower.

As an example, sometimes after I pick an object I want to go to, the mount will slew 300 degrees to the left rather than 60 degrees to the right.

Also, if the scope/mount are facing south and I want to go to Polaris, for example it will rotate verically leaving the eyepiece/finder pointing toward the ground. Shouldn't the rotation be 180 degrees along the Azimuth axis, then the final Dec adjustment.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just the way it's supposed to be?

Thanks,

Jim

#2 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:31 PM

My LX200 did that to prevent cords from wrapping around the scope. I am not sure why a Mini Tower would need to do that unless there are some internal wires that could get twisted.

#3 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:20 AM

for example it will rotate verically leaving the eyepiece/finder pointing toward the ground. Shouldn't the rotation be 180 degrees along the Azimuth axis

That's because you had the scope set up upside down from the start. I bet with the scope & mount set at park and you press the up key the scope moves down and you press the down key the scope moves up. I had the same thing going on until the light bulb went off. :foreheadslap:

Bob

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics