• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Gianluca67

Gianluca67

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:08 AM

I am in the process of regreasing my old and beloved Vixen GP DX and I am searching for the right kind of grease. I have found two different kind of greases from Arexons. One is called "Lithium grease" and the other one "High performance grease". The latter seems to have a wider temperature resistance. Both are amber-coloured. Does anyone know if these greases are okay for regreasing telescope mounts? Are there other lithium based greases (I think they should be white and not amber-coloured)that can better fit the purpose?
Thanks
Gianluca

#2 Jerry3672

Jerry3672

Vendor - Quantum Astronomy Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lexington NC

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:46 AM

Super Lube works great. It's clear and slick.

#3 Dubboy

Dubboy

Vanguard

• Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:03 PM

I agree with Jerry.
SuperLube can be purchased from Ace Hardware. If your local store doesn't carry it, they can order it.

#4 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville, VA

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:44 PM

Super Lube is the best. If your local store won't order it, you can order a tube of Super Lube synthetic grease at Super Lube

#5 tidroplane

tidroplane

Apollo

• Loc: Everett, Wa. USA

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:06 PM

One more for Super Lube, I won`t use anything else.

#6 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

• Loc: 38°21'N 120°55'W

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:49 PM

Here is a link to an archived thread on the subject of lubricants suitable for an EQ Mount (in this case, an Atlas). Super Lube was the preferred lubricant of several posters.

#7 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Vendor - Trapezium Telescopes & Services, LLC.

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:17 AM

We would NEVER use any lithium grease on any mount that we service! Super-Lube is the best choice!!

Steve

#8 Rusty

Rusty

Hubble

• Loc: Brooker, FL

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:42 AM

I'm a recovering fuels and lube engineer, and Super Lube Multi-Purpose Grease is all I use for mounts (and many other applications).

#9 Dubboy

Dubboy

Vanguard

• Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:31 AM

hmmmm. do ya think SuperLube is the BEST!! :question:
:grin:

#10 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:11 AM

No, but Super Lube is! :whistle:

#11 Gianluca67

Gianluca67

Messenger

• -----

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:07 PM

I have seen the Superlube website. There are a few kind of greases. Are you talking about the High temperature E.P. grease? The trouble is that I live in Italy and if superlube is unavailable in my country I will have to add 70 dollars for shipping...

#12 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Vendor - Trapezium Telescopes & Services, LLC.

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:36 PM

Super-Lube Multi-Purpose Grease is the product of choice.

The parent company is

SYNCO CHEMICAL CORPORATION
24 DaVinci Drive
Bohemia, New York 11716
Toll Free: 800.253.LUBE (5823)
Phone: 631.567.5300
Fax: 631.567.5359
www.super-lube.com/contact-us-ez-11.htm

Contact them and see if they have any international distributors.

Steve

Steve

#13 rjsc2000

rjsc2000

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Portugal

Posted 16 May 2009 - 03:47 PM

Hi
Try

product http://it.rs-online....4-7967&x=33&y=7

This one doesn't show an image of the product but it has documentation. Try to contact them

or
http://pt.rs-online....Term=super lube

#14 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 May 2009 - 05:19 PM

I have seen the Superlube website. There are a few kind of greases. Are you talking about the High temperature E.P. grease? The trouble is that I live in Italy and if superlube is unavailable in my country I will have to add 70 dollars for shipping...

You want part number 21030.....3 oz Tube of Grease

USPS (United States Postal Service) can ship it for much less than some of the other shipping companies. Usually for just a few dollars. I sent a package from the USA to New Zealand and it cost less than ten dollars to ship it. And the item that I shipped was no bigger than a tube of Super Lube. Perhaps someone on CN can figure out how to get a tube over to you. Do you have PayPal?

Come on folks we can do this. Our overseas amico needs our help. Do it for the Astronomy Brotherhood. :lol:

Seriously, we should be able to somehow get you a tube of the stuff.

Bart

#15 Rusty

Rusty

Hubble

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:48 PM

Perhaps one of the members in the UK will chime in, because there's a direct rebrand of Super Lube Multi-Purpose Grease available, but I don't remember the label. It even has the Synco signature markings.

#16 Gianluca67

Gianluca67

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:42 AM

I have found a distributor in Italy!! I will contact them tomorrow to check if they have the synthetic multi purpose grease. Shipping to Rome should cost only a few euro. Thank you Bart for your kind help.
One question: how much grease should I use to regrase the gears once I clean the old grease? To reduce backlash one should use the right amuont of grease and I wonder whether there is a procedure to do that.
Thank you
Gianluca

#17 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:45 AM

You're welcome.

Here are two good tutorials if you haven't already seen them: Andysshotglass, Astronomyboy.

#18 Rusty

Rusty

Hubble

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:21 PM

One question: how much grease should I use to regrase the gears once I clean the old grease? To reduce backlash one should use the right amuont of grease and I wonder whether there is a procedure to do that.
Thank you
Gianluca

Clean the old grease off only with mineral spirits (a/k/a "paint thinner"). I think Europe has another name for it, so again, maybe someone can translate if that's the case.

An old toothbrush helps in cleaning the teeth (of the gearsets :grin:).

My procedure for regreasing is to smear it on the gear faces even with the top of the teeth. Then run the drive a bit and wipe off excess grease. There's a caution running around that "One must never overgrease!". That's valid in some applications, but does not apply to open gearsets like you have here.

#19 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:41 PM

I have found a distributor in Italy!! I will contact them tomorrow to check if they have the synthetic multi purpose grease. Shipping to Rome should cost only a few euro.

Gianluca

So, were you able to get the Super Lube?

#20 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:19 PM

This is not a demanding application at all. There is very little pressure on any part of a telescope mount (assuming you keep balance fairly good so the worm is not under high strain), so there is no need to get very exotic. I mean this isn't like wheel bearings in a Ferrari, is it...

Any good multi-purpose, water-prof grease is going to be sufficent for your mount.

Synthetic greases used by motocross and off road motorcyclists are usually availbe at scooter and motorcycle dealers.

Becuase these motorcycles often encounter water, most of the greases they use are water resistant.

Because of dewing and condensation, this can be a factor in the mount, though it is a very small factor.

Still, I would think you could get a very high quality grease at any scooter store in your neighborhood.

Bel Ray is a great grease sold in US Motorcycles stores. It is what Televue uses on focusers and I use it on almost everything. It is inexpensive and very high quality. If you can find it or something similar at the local scooter dealer, it will do nicely. If they do not sell this brand, ask them for the equivilent domestic product. I have NO doubt that something will exist in that market.

Good luck.

#21 Gianluca67

Gianluca67

Messenger

• -----

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:51 PM

Yes. I found the multipurpose grease with Syncolon (PTFE) in a 400 ml can for 10 Euro. Apparently it is the only grease from Superlube available in my country but I think it shuould be ok. In the next few days I will have a try at regreasing the mount. To avoid too much complicated tasks I think I will disassemble the worm gears as little as possible trying to clean the old grease first and then adding the new lube where there the gears are in contact. Then a 24 hour movement should enable complete lubrication of the gears. I fear disassemble the entire worm drive, particularly the washers, as I have read they need to be mounted with very tight tolerances otherwise the tracking precision is considerably reduced.
Gianluca

#22 Gianluca67

Gianluca67

Messenger

• -----

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:03 AM

Finally I was able to regrease the Vixen GP Dx mount with Superlube. I only regreased the gearsets without dismantling the shafts from their housing and then I set the gear mesh with the equipped screws. The outcome is really astonishing. Now the tracking capabilities has improved a lot, I can get unguided round stars up to 120 sec exposure while the limit of the mount has been progressively reduced to only 30 seconds over the years(originally the mount was able to provide good images up to 180 sec). Besides I load nearly 13 kgs (28.5 pounds) on the GP Dx with no tracking or pointing issues. Probably the tracking precision is mainly affected by the set of the gear mesh but I think reagreasing has also a role.
Gianluca

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics