Photo

Congratulations !!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 rd56

rd56

Messenger

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:07 AM

Mark,
Congratulations on winning the final Imaging/Sketching contest. Very well deserved as you have competed against many fine offerings for this past month. BTW is this a first for a sketch winning the combined monthly contest?

Again, kudos for your win and excellent rendition.

Ron

#2 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:15 AM

It was a beautiful sketch indeed. Congratulations, Mark!

And this is the third time (maybe fourth) that a sketch has won the overall image/sketching contest.

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:31 AM

Mark,

Congratulations on a well deserved victory. Excellent, captivating sketch. It is great to see your sketch as an overall winner. :waytogo:

Frank :)

#4 mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:04 AM

Mark,

I am very pleased you have been voted winning sketch.
Very well deserved!

Regards
Mike

#5 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:46 AM

Indeed, I think it's at least the second time that Mark (in particular) has won the overall.

Well done! :waytogo:

-- Jeff.

#6 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:39 AM

Well done!!!
:bow: :jump: :thewave: :elephdance: :salute:

#7 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:42 AM

Thanks to all of you for your kind words; I owe much of this to the encouragement that many of you offer here in the CN Forums.

Yes, I think it is my second win with sketched art being chosen over the astrophotographers. I guess this must say something about the moon as art vs photography? I just re-read the January contest finals again which was my other win over the photography as I could not remember some of the words; and realized two days ago that I am to receive a T-shirt since January! I never responded to that yet, so I wrote to Charlie to indicate the size. See how far removed I am from all of this? Thanks again Charlie. When I was in high school, my parents got me a subscription to National Geographic. Other friends who already had the subscription would ask me, Mark did you see that great article in last months issue, did you read it? No, I told them, I just look at the pictures.

I must say that all those competing astrophotographs are beautiful and I know that each photographer exerted much effort and work to capture their images. With that said, I have some explaining to do.

This was one work that I believe I exerted the least effort and time on although it is yet the largest format paper that I had worked on to date. What if they measured our success on effort? as I feel that I have not really tried to achieve my greatest work yet. I procrastinate with artists block allot. I have just recently begun to make the sketches bigger.

I think that much of the impact in this work is owed in part to the portion that does not really qualify for this forum; that being the imaginary moonscape that I rendered in the foreground as the final touch. I spent even less time on that portion of the work (Also the details in it are not visible in this small screen photograph. Perhaps I'll post a close-up photo of that moonscape portion soon into my gallery.) More so, the four close –up renderings that I floated around the whole moon image in the sky are not the most detailed close-ups that I have done from observation through the eyepiece.

Whats more, I find it interesting that the sketches that seem to have won over photography in the past and present have been, I believe, that of the moon more often than not; the object that many astronomers do not like or chose to ignore. And is that astrophotographers too? Perhaps the best things in life are going un-noticed? Those which may be the close to us.

So with all these minuses about the moon as an art subject and imaginary art rather than technical scientific observation from reality, what am I doing that is so special? Breaking the rules of convention? Dare I do the moon again next month! I thought I was a solar astronomer. :foreheadslap: :question: :tonofbricks:

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Sketch Gallery

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein

#8 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:57 PM

Congratulations Mark! :bow: :yay: :bow: In my eyes every participant is a winner but your beautiful sketch was exceptional! Well done.

#9 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:00 PM

Mark,

Congratulations on winning the Imaging/Sketch contest. Your observation of the Moon with space art rendition was outstanding.

Carlos

#10 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 16 May 2009 - 05:14 PM

Mark,

Tremendous piece of work and congratulations to you on winning the overall. I look forward as always to your next piece of work.

Jay

#11 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:14 AM

Bravo!,congrads on your great sketch.

#12 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:15 AM

Rich, Carlos, Jay and Tommy

Thanks again; as you have all inspired me for the past several months; now for my next work . . . ? :question:

Respectively,

Mark

#13 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:22 AM

Bravo, Mark! :band:

#14 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:45 AM