• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Honis

Gary Honis

Vendor-DSLR Mods

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:47 PM

I have been providing detailed online instructions for modification of Canon DSLRs since 2004. I am now providing a low cost modification service for the Canon 450D (XSi) and 1000D (XS) DSLR cameras for astro imaging and infrared photography.

Cost of the modification is $190 plus $20 return shipping, UPS ground insured. Orders accepted within continental United States only. I can provide a Baader DSLR UV/IR replacement filter for an additional $90.

Details at:
http://ghonis2.ho8.c...lmod450d17.html

Cameras are fully tested before and after modification and include flat field and focus test images along with a pre- and post-mod checklist that is provided to camera owner.

On occasion I also sell new modified Canon 450D (XSi) and 1000D (XS) DSLR cameras with the Baader DSLR UV/IR replacement filter. Check website for details and availability.

If you are interested in learning details of how others are modifying their DSLR cameras for astro imaging, including peltier cooling, please consider joining my support group at:

http://tech.groups.y...Rmodifications/

Dark Skies,

Gary

Attached Files

#2 SilentLight

SilentLight

Vostok 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:55 PM

Are you planning modifications for T1i as well?

Thanks...

#3 Gary Honis

Gary Honis

Vendor-DSLR Mods

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:39 PM

I hope to modify the 500D (T1i); I haven't yet. I'm waiting to see how the camera performs in low light. Many jumped on the 40D and 50D when they came out, only to discover banding and other issues for astro imaging. The 500D is using the same digic processor as the 50D. I've been monitoring online DSLR forums for examples of low light noise performance. A friend just picked up a 500D so I hope to do some testing soon.

The 450D and 500D are identical in size. I had a chance to compare the two, side by side, at NEAF and the button layout is identical as well. Canon's published specs have the 500D CMOS chip just a tad larger than the 450D. The 500D promotional ads by Canon are showing the same filter sandwich (LPF#1 & LPF#2) as the other newer Canons, so I'm expecting the replacement DSLR UV/IR filter by Baader (#FBCF-400D) will still fit. It's great to see Canon releasing so many DSLR models. If we could only get Canon to make some cameras without the IR block filter:)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics