Photo

What mount head for long dob tube?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 benchacom

benchacom

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:23 AM

I think I've settled on getting a portable pier with an equatorial mount for my 8" dobsonian tube. I need some direction to help me find the right mount.

Which mount will be strong enough to support this tube? It weighs about 20lbs. The vendor I plan to get the pier from also sells an EQ5 mount, I wonder if that will do the job.

In the event the EQ5 is too wimpy for this, where else can I shop for mounts? Everywhere I've looked has mount/tripod systems, I can't seem to find listings for mount only.

Thanks, folks!

(edited this post to give a more useful subject title)

#2 Joe Aguiar

Joe Aguiar

Vanguard

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:29 AM

A CG5 or EQ5 is rated for 20 lbs pay load which may do you fine for visual needs,but you may need a bit larger if you will do AP maybe something like a HEQ5 which is rated for 30 lbs of payload & its always better to be under the weight rather than be right at the max or beyond it.

If you have a 8" Dob its most likey an F/6 so it about the limit of the CG5/EQ5

Joe

#3 benchacom

benchacom

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:32 AM

Just to be persnickity is HEQ5 the same as EQ5H? I want to make sure I get the right thing and don't want my ignorance of the catalog codes to trip me up. :D The site I'm getting the pier from has an EQ5H available. They say 23 lb payload but whatever...if this EQ5H is the beefier one I might spring for it. Thanks for the input, Joe!

#4 Joe Aguiar

Joe Aguiar

Vanguard

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:29 PM

I never heard of a EQ5H can you send me a link I can tell just by looking at it.

Joe

#5 benchacom

benchacom

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:49 PM

I never heard of a EQ5H can you send me a link I can tell just by looking at it.

Joe

Here you go, Joe. You may have to scroll down past all the piers and parts to see the mounts. I just had another look and I think the H is Cearvueoptics' own designation for the mount minus tripod, and it's probably the lighter EQ5 head, do you agree?

This is leading me to my other question again: if I want to shop for mount heads, (without tripods), where do I look? Every web site I try offers heads with tripods, (and most of those are go-to as well). How can I shop for just heads all by themselves?

#6 Joe Aguiar

Joe Aguiar

Vanguard

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:37 PM

thats an Antares EQ5 mount, it the same one that comes with their refractors.If you get this model you must get it with the 2" steels legs not the 1.5" steel legs.

However for a 8"F/6 OTA its a bit under gunned beacuse your OTA is soo long. If you are only doing visual no AP it can be OK but not great.Its not only the weight but the length makes it like a see saw in the wind making the mount work harger to hold a long top heavy OTA. Even if you have a OTA with the same weight but half the size it becames more stable on a mount.

How much does your OTA weigh?

Here is a link to a HEQ5 its made by Skywatcher. The older models are none goto but with dual drives however i think all the newer ones are all goto, so costing more.

http://www.skywatche...s1=3&class2=302

You may find used older models for about $500 US $600 CDN

If you want a none goto its going to have to be a used model.

Joe

#7 Joe Aguiar

Joe Aguiar

Vanguard

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:44 PM

Also Orion sells thses as well with their name here it is .

http://www.telescope...roduct_id=24335

Orions version comes with a 1.75"steel legs which is almost good would have been better 2".

Hope that helps.

If you cant afford this mount you can get the Antares EQ5 with the 2" steel legs & save up fot the HEQ5 or the Orion version, you can see if the EQ5 will do if not later upgrade & sell the eq5 you should not lose too much or keep it if you every get a smaller scope.

Joe

#8 benchacom

benchacom

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:55 PM

How much does your OTA weigh?

I weighed it last night, 18 lbs without eyepiece. It's an F7 so even longer than you imagine. I could lighten it some by removing the altitude bearings but I'd only do that if the rings for the EQ mount interfere with them. I'd rather leave them on so I can still use the dob mount. I don't mind getting go-to, might even help since in these polluted skies I'd have trouble with star-hopping. Thanks for the link...now to search for vendors to get prices...

#9 Joe Aguiar

Joe Aguiar

Vanguard

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:24 PM

I would also leave the the side bearing on the tube also so you can switch it quick to the dob. OK if its 18 lbs that what the mount should carry but the length will pose a bit of problem.

If you want one mount that you dont have to upgrade then get the Orion Sirius @ $849 its still a good deal.

I have a Meade 7"F/15 Mak that weight 21 lbs on the Meade LXD-75 mount but beacuse its 20" long only it pretty much rock solid on the mount you can try & see if it works with your mount but from the sounds its at the limit alreday.

Joe

#10 benchacom

benchacom

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:24 PM

OK if its 18 lbs that what the mount should carry but the length will pose a bit of problem.

If you want one mount that you dont have to upgrade then get the Orion Sirius @ $849 its still a good deal.

Don't forget: I don't need the tripod. I want the head by itself, to be used with the pier I found at ClearVue Optics. I might go ahead with this EQ5, but if I decide to go bigger I'll have to call vendors who sell the stronger mounts to see if they'll sell the mounts separately.

#11 Joe Aguiar

Joe Aguiar

Vanguard

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:34 PM

well you can sell the steel legs off many people would buy them at about $149 (as they sell 199 +taxes) US which would put that mount at 700 then. I dought a dealer will break the mount like that & if they do it wont be worth it for you.

There was a times I just wanted a Celestron Omni CG-4 mount & the whole package was $525cdn but if i only wanted the mount the dealer said $375cdn +taxes. So based of this & this is nornal for dealer to do its better to buy the whole package & sell off the 4" refractor for $199cdn, then diagonal,20,ep,20, finder & base 40. That way you are getting the mount & tripod for $200 instead of $375

There no point to pay 80% on half the part you may as well get the whole thing & sell &the other half & make that part back on what you need.

Joe

#12 benchacom

benchacom

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:43 PM

Oh, well I'm glad you were here to guide me through this decision process, Joe! If that's how it works then I ought to go ahead with one of the stronger mounts. Thanks for shedding some light!

:watching: :watching: :watching: :watching:

#13 Joe Aguiar

Joe Aguiar

Vanguard

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:44 PM

sure anytime

#14 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:13 AM

I have mounted a 203mm F6 Dobsonian tube on a Vixen GP-DX and it is JUST enough.

The GP-DX outperfoms my HEQ5 (Sirius) mount in terms of stability.

For an 200mm F7 scope I would consider an Atlas mount. There is nothing worse than having a great scope that jiggles when you touch it.

#15 Joe Aguiar

Joe Aguiar

Vanguard

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:50 AM

I recommend the HEQ5 or sirius which has a payload of
30 lbs his OTA is 18lbs so i think this should be good where he does not need the EQ6.

Joe

#16 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:01 AM

I recommend the HEQ5 or sirius which has a payload of
30 lbs his OTA is 18lbs so i think this should be good where he does not need the EQ6.

Joe

Hello Joe,

Yes you are right, from a weight point of view the HEQ5/Sirius will have no problems.

However it is the length of the original posters tube (1.4mts) that the HEQ5 will struggle with. My HEQ5 did not hold my 1.2mtr scope well enough.

#17 Joe Aguiar

Joe Aguiar

Vanguard

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:06 AM

true which is what i was telling the poster in the previous posts but i also asked him if he was AP & i beleivie its mainly for visual, so it should do him fine.

Joe

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics