• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BillS50

BillS50

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island New York

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:34 AM

I tryed this in the begginer forum but maybe it's better here.
When I set up my SynScan goto most of the settings are there from the last session. I just have to update the day and time. However the time zone always reverts to a +5 and I am in the -5 zone. I also have an issue with alignment stars. The alignment star list does not include some of the brightest stars such as Arcturus. Tristan in Florida (same zone) has Arcturus in her list. My firmware is version 3.20.
Is there a problem with my goto? I got my lat long right off a map that I can see my house on (isn't google earth great). The time is set based on my computer time which is good to the third decimal point. I am determind to make this work. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Bill

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:46 AM

I tryed this in the begginer forum but maybe it's better here.
When I set up my SynScan goto most of the settings are there from the last session. I just have to update the day and time. However the time zone always reverts to a +5 and I am in the -5 zone. I also have an issue with alignment stars. The alignment star list does not include some of the brightest stars such as Arcturus. Tristan in Florida (same zone) has Arcturus in her list. My firmware is version 3.20.
Is there a problem with my goto? I got my lat long right off a map that I can see my house on (isn't google earth great). The time is set based on my computer time which is good to the third decimal point. I am determind to make this work. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Bill

What you need to do is upgrade to the latest firmware version.

#3 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:48 AM

Well, this is pretty funny. After seeing this question in the Beginner forum and composing a reply I inadvertently reset the factory settings on my HC (which had been upgraded to 3.20 from the original version and had been working fine) and found that now I too had the Timezone always reverting to +5 problem...

I did stumble over a workaround without updating the firmware, though, use one of the "Up" keys (to the right of the 0 button, or below the Setup button) to toggle the + to -. Doing it with an Up key causes the setting to "take", whereas doing it with either Down key does not. I'm sure that's a "feature".

Mike

#4 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:37 AM

Mike has the answer. There is a bug in the hand controller, and only the up arrow makes a permanent change.

BUT, v3.20 of the firmware also has several defects; upgrade to v3.24 to get rid of other unwanted "features". And only use the up arrow to toggle through changes when setting up.

#5 BillS50

BillS50

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island New York

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:04 PM

Thank you guys, you nailed it. I was using the down key and it did not take. The thing was putting me in Iran! I used the up key and now all of my familar alignment stars are on the list. I'm going to up date my firmware now to be sure.
So all I have to do now is wait for a clear night.
This has been driving me nuts! Thanks again.

Bill

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics