Quick Galaxy Sketch Lesson in a Throng of People

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:29 PM

I never got around to posting this pair of sketches but we have been busy. The scene for the sketch was the North side of the hill that houses the Rainwater Observatory. There were so many scopes and people on the hill that we could hear the din of excited observers but we were on the quiet and less used side that overlooked a peaceful grassy pasture. David wanted to try sketching with astro-video, so we set up the MallinCAM Hyper Color on his c8 and picked these two galaxies to sketch. While we intended to sketch together, he got cold feet and chose to hear me sketch and talk him through the process I use. He actually is a good sketcher but I could not pursuade him to tackle the images along with me. It was a very fun time but quick. He chose the objects then I illustrated how to set the video cam and screen before tackling the two objects.

With all the commotion on top of the hill, our time was quiet and peaceful. Of course, these two objects are always a pleasure to go back to. This time was no exception.

The sketch period reminded me of the thing that keeps people from trying sketching: they say or fear they cannot do it. The next day I did a sketching presentation. The way we do it is sort of down-home so everyone acts like a child: NO FEAR. So by the end of the lesson, they had all tried a sketch of a projected astro photo of M45...complete with nebulosity. Nearly all othe them (old, young, experienced, or new) did just fine. The whole thing reminds me again in our teaching: don't take "I cannot do it" for an answer. Rather, give them a few key principles, act as if everyone can do it without a ruffle, and march on. The beauty of the heavens just waits for new observers to discover the wonders of the creation.

Roland

Attached Files

#2 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:40 PM

Ver nice galaxy sketches, 104 looks really cool dust lane and all.

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:27 PM

Roland,

These are both beautiful sketches. I agree with T5's comment above about M-104. You are getting in a lot of observing and sketching in your travels. Thanks for posting these sketches; I really enjoy seeing the wonderful work you do with the showpieces of the night. :bow: :cool: :rainbow:

Frank :)

#4 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

Well thanks but I really do sketch what I see with the astro video assisting me. I really enjoy studying the detail of these beautiful creations but I just cannot see the detail or color with just the EP. This was the first time with an 8 inch aperture with these two, and it reasonably compares to 12.5 inches that I have on a Dob, but the Dob is not with me. Roland

#5 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:45 PM

Marvelous sketches, Roland!

These galaxies look just great on your sketches. :cool:

#6 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:20 PM

Roland,

Excellent observations of M82 and M104. You have captured the bright and dark portions of M82 and the dust lane of M104 very nicely. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics