• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MikeS

MikeS

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Quakertown Pennsylvania

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:28 AM

I'd like to change out my existing Orion Sirius EQ-G saddle to a Losmandy saddle. I know that there are adapters that do this, but I assume that the improved stability I am hoping for would be better realized with an actual saddle replacement. Would this saddle from ADM do what I want?

ADM D Series Dual Saddle

If there are any other products out there, please let me know. I believe TSS had something like this, but they are no longer around. Has anyone done this mod? Whas there a noticable improvement in stability?

Thanks. I just wanted to sound like I have a clue when I order it! lol

#2 Applal

Applal

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Appleton, WI

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:44 AM

I've got the very thing on my Atlas and can say that it is a very nicely made piece. It comes with everything you need to put it on your mount and I like that it gives the choice to mount either a V or D series dovetail, without having to change anything on the mount!
Good luck with your choice.

#3 jaynes

jaynes

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:07 AM

Unfortunately the "hockey puck" on the Sirius is different than the one on the Atlas. I tried replacing the puck that comes standard with the ADM Losmandy saddle with the ADM EQ-5 puck. But it wasn't tall enough. The Dec clutch knob doesn't clear the bottom of the saddle.

I ended up getting the HEQ-5 puck from TSS which is a bit taller. That worked great with the ADM saddle. The puck and saddle holes all lined up. But TSS seems to be out of commission at the moment.

BTW, My ADM saddle was the Losmandy style, and not the dual saddle.

If you can find a machine shop to make you a puck for the Sirius to go with the ADM saddle, I highly recommend the upgrade.

#4 Spoonsize

Spoonsize

DURHAM 157494

• Loc: Stuck in a Time Warp.

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:29 AM

http://www.criterionmachine.com/

If you contact Deven at the above link he might be able to help you out. He makes an adapter for the Atlas and I sent him the top from my Sirius Mount so he could measure it to build those for the Sirius. I do not know if he has made any yet, you might want to mention my name. Perhaps his answer will be yes to you and maybe he'll have one for me also.

#5 Nick-Sydney

Nick-Sydney

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:41 AM

ADM will now do the puck to fit the HEQ5. Well at least I got one from him and fits fine. I though he HEQ5/Sirius puck was the same as an EQ5 but maybe not... Anyway, ADM can do this for you. Send him an email. I payed the same price as for the Dual-EQG but with the HEQ5 puck. Great saddle.

#6 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:03 PM

Anthony (ADM) has the hockey puck for both the HEQ5 and HEQ6 I got one of his saddles on my Sirius Mount and it is the same as the HEQ5.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics