HELP with INTELLISCOPE & SKYVIEW PRO mount combo

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DeSotoboy

DeSotoboy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:27 AM

I just bought a Orion Intelliscope for my SkyView Pro mount.
I need help with understanding the TUNING OF THE ENCODERS part.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry in Texas

#2 PAW

PAW

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:39 AM

I bought the same mount a year ago and still don't have it working.

This setup was discontinued by Orion since so many were having difficulties setting up the encoders/Intelliscope.

Orion's solution is buy the GoTo kit, which apparently is easy to install and works well, but costs $500.00

I will read over my manuals tonight and tomorrow and try and tackle this again and reply back if I can gleen any helpful information.

Maybe between the two of us we can get it working...

I do recall that the encoders have be tuned in the daylight.

#3 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:25 AM

Tuning the encoders means to get the proper gap between the pickup device and the magnet ring for each axis. They need to be in close proximity but not touching, and one of the numbers in the handheld display indicates if you have the spacing within the right range (centered around 70, though there is quite a range that will work). The number will vary a bit as you rotate that axis but should stay within 10 or so plus/minus. This has nothing to do with the stars so can be done inside, it's easiest with no telescope or counterweights on the mount.

I think this is all I can offer for help without more specific questions.

Mike

#4 DeSotoboy

DeSotoboy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:39 PM

Paw & Mike,
I'm stuck at page6 setup 20 where you get the axis numbers about 40 & under 110.
I was able to move both axis until I got the top & bottom numbers to be 84 & 77.
But when I unlock both axis levers and move the axis'(again), the numbers jump all over the place.
The instructions say it shouldn't be more then 25points, but it's alot more then that.

Thanks,
Terry

#5 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 May 2009 - 01:03 PM

Like how much more? And is a pattern evident, like really high or low always near the same RA or Dec position?

My numbers jump around during rotation but for the most part stay within a 10-15 count overall, centered around 70-75.

I assume you bought this Intelliscope used since Orion doesn't sell the SVP kits any more. Had it been installed before? It would be possible to damage the magnet rings deinstalling them if one is not careful, so I'm wondering just what condition they are in (missing chunks, etc).

It would be helpful to provide pictures of the magnet rings installed in the mount if possible. And also pictures with the encoders installed.

Mike

#6 DeSotoboy

DeSotoboy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:47 AM

Paw & Mike,
I've downloaded a video of my Intelliscope & SKV Pro mount to YouTube.com.
To see the video, go to: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=CLLfaxQ01VY

Hope this helps Mike.

Terry

#7 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:11 AM

Ok, very nice. First of all, "tuning" means to adjust the spacing between the encoders and the magnet rings. They need to be close but not rubbing. Rotating the axes does nothing in itself to tune them, it is just showing you how well the spacing is set. It's a real-time display of the spacing, in numerical terms based on the magnetic field strength at any rotational position.

If you look on the inside of the encoders you can see two small black rectangular components, those are the magnetic field sensors. That's where the spacing is important.

Higher numbers mean close spacing, lower numbers mean further spacing. You adjust the encoder positions on the mount such that you see around 70-80 for each. No axis rotation is done for that step, it's just sliding the encoder position lengthwise along the axis and tightening the screws. You should then see the number not vary much more than 10 plus/minus as you rotate the associated axis.

It looks like you should be able to get this accomplished ok for the RA axis. The Dec axis magnet ring, however, is a mess. I suspect that is not ever going to work, it is just too banged up. Best you can hope for is to trim away whatever parts of the magnet are sticking above the overall surface, so that no physical contact can happen with the encoder. I'm not hopeful that you'll ever get consistent results with that one though.

Mike

#8 DeSotoboy

DeSotoboy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:34 AM

Mike,
is it okay if I communicate with you offsite?
can you send me your email address?
mine is terry75115@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Terry

#9 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:43 AM

Sent you a CN PM.

Mike

#10 PAW

PAW

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:36 AM

Please share if possible any solutions/tips, I read through the manual today, got to the part that covers encoder tuning and after about 5 steps my head started to hurt!

#11 DeSotoboy

DeSotoboy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:55 AM

Paw,
I know what you mean about your head hurting trying to understand those instructions. I don't have the nack for figuring that kind of stuff out either, but Mike does.
Mike helped me alot!
Step 1 thru 19 should be easy to understand.
If you are still having problems with those steps, let me know.
Step 20,21,22 was tricky for me.
* Once you get the round magnets screwed in, push the encoder covers onto each magnet.
* watch the third column of numbers on the controller.
* when pushing the encoder covers on, don't let the numbers go below 40 or above 110. Try and aim for a 70 to 90 range.
The idea is to not let the encoders touch the magnets but get as close to them as possible.
* Once the numbers are set, unlock the RA & DEC axis levers. When you rotate either one, the numbers on the controller should not change by more then 20counts.

This is as far as I've gone.
If you still are having problems, contact me at terry75115.com

Good Luck,
Terry

#12 PAW

PAW

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:44 PM

Terry: Thanks, my goal tomorrow is to get this system working - I have nothing else on my schedule.

Part of the problem for me is also figuring out where I left off...

#13 tkobyrne

tkobyrne

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:01 AM

I used a medium weight gloss finish photo printing paper cut in a ring as a spacer to set the gap. Use medium pressure to hold down the encoder evenly and tighten it. The paper helps keep the faces square to the magnet. It is the even gap that will keep the numbers within tolerance. I would imagine that there will be a variation between magnets so you might need to try different weight paper to get your gap correct but keeping the gap even is the most important thing.
Don't forget to remove the paper before testing it.
Tom

#14 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:33 AM

I assume you are talking about the Dob encoders. There wouldn't be any way to get the paper out of the SVP version encoders after installation.

In any case, the sensors are only in one location on the encoders, so the gap only matters there. They should be mounted reasonably square anyway, certainly. What also matters is that the magnet rings don't wobble when the axes are turned. This would be assured as long as they weren't cross-threaded when being screwed on.

It's not unusual for the encoders to get inadvertently bumped out of proper spacing when carrying the mount around so one needs to be prepared to test and correct the spacing occasionally.

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics