CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone Use Bogen 501HDV or 701HDV Head?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 AZStarGuy

AZStarGuy

Apollo

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:29 PM

Anyone ever mount their 80 or 90mm grab & go's on a Bogen 501 or 701 HDV series head? Are there any drift or balance issues when viewing 150X + or switching EPs?

Thanks in advance -

#2 sctchun

sctchun

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:30 PM

Hi Ron,

I've used my Meade 80mm with a 501 HDV with a Baader Zoom (60x w/o barlow, 120x w/ barlow). I do perform a rough balance so that I'm able to perform fine adjustments to the view when I'm at high power. Also in my case, I'm using a CF tripod, so that may be contributing factor.

Steven

#3 beachchairbill

beachchairbill

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:13 AM

Hi Ron,

.You might want to ask this same question on the Binocular forum some of the members are using the 501 for holding the GBT 100/45 which requires changing two ep's.

Beachchairbill

#4 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:24 AM

Anyone ever mount their 80 or 90mm grab & go's on a Bogen 501 or 701 HDV series head? Are there any drift or balance issues when viewing 150X + or switching EPs?

I've used my AT66ED, C6 SCT, and a pair of 15x70 binoculars on the Bogen 501HDV (not at the same time, of course :smirk: ). It handled all of them with no problems as far as drifting. I think the Bogen 501 on the 475B geared tripod was one of my best equipment choices. It's very versatile and sturdy.

Having said that, I don't use it much with the C6 SCT and at higher magnifications simply because it doesn't have the precision of movement I like at that power. To be fair, I don't think any fluid heads will give that kind of control.

As far as using an 80 to 90mm refractor as a grab and go setup, I think it should work very well. I use mine with the AT66ED every once in a while, although that scope is a little aperture deprived.

My most used setup with that combo is with the 15x70 binoculars. Very...very sweet. I can go all the way from horizon to zenith and keep my eyes in the exact same position with the 475B geared tripod and 501HDV setup.

Patrick

#5 AZStarGuy

AZStarGuy

Apollo

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:39 AM

That 475B is slick! I am looking at mounting it on the Oberwerk HD Surveyor. My only hesitation is for those nights I'm playing with higher ppowers ~150x and up for globs, doubles and planets when seeing supports, will I be frustrated with the "fine" tracking movements.

I suspect as always that balance is key, but once that is achieved, is there backlash or drift when attempting to center objects.

I hadn't considered this head - I was leaning towards a WO EZ Touch on the tripod, but have been offered a decent deal on the 501 or 701 combo. Gave me pause for thought...

Keep the responses coming! Good stuff!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics