• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jeffweiss9

jeffweiss9

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:00 PM

Howdy. I could use some advice on a GEM mount to replace the Meade fork mount and wedge I've been using for imaging (LX90GPS 8" plus widefield SVR90 or AT66ED imager). Since I image in the field, my motivation is to minimize my setup time to get going on imaging, which is considerable now with drift alignment, etc.
Here are my criteria:
1) polar alignment so good that drift alignment is not needed,
2) heavy enough to image in 15 mph wind (or at least >10mph that limits me now) and
3) is still light/compact enough to be easily portable for field setup.
Oh yes, no more than ~$3500 (I'd need a new OTA also) and if it went through meridion without a flip, that would be good too.
I've seen imagers meeting 1) and 2) with Losmondy G-11 or Tak EM-400 but I don't think those meet 3). Is there anything out there that would or am I asking the impossible? (I've read reviews here implying neither the Losmandy G-8 or Tak EM-200 would.)
Thanks,
Jeff

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:08 PM

Is there anything out there that would or am I asking the impossible? (I've read reviews here implying neither the Losmandy G-8 or Tak EM-200 would.)
Thanks,
Jeff

The EM-200 should be just fine. It'll handle an imaging load of close to 40 pounds.

#3 Chris Curran

Chris Curran

Viking 1

• Loc: Brandon, FL

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:16 PM

A Tak EM-200 would most certainly fit the bill. You'll never get a EM-400 for $3500. You might be able to find a EM-200 for $3500 used on AM.

The Tak polar scope (I presume that's what you meant in #1) is very good, one of the best in fact, but for imaging you're going to want to improve your polar alignment with some other routine - via software or manual drift.

The scope you're using has more to do with the effects of wind, but the EM-200 is a very stout mount. For example, there's a Mewlon 250 riding on a EM-200 near the center of this photo:

Posted Image

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics