CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Advice Needed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 jeffweiss9

jeffweiss9

Messenger

• -----

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:00 PM

Howdy. I could use some advice on a GEM mount to replace the Meade fork mount and wedge I've been using for imaging (LX90GPS 8" plus widefield SVR90 or AT66ED imager). Since I image in the field, my motivation is to minimize my setup time to get going on imaging, which is considerable now with drift alignment, etc.
Here are my criteria:
1) polar alignment so good that drift alignment is not needed,
2) heavy enough to image in 15 mph wind (or at least >10mph that limits me now) and
3) is still light/compact enough to be easily portable for field setup.
Oh yes, no more than ~$3500 (I'd need a new OTA also) and if it went through meridion without a flip, that would be good too.
I've seen imagers meeting 1) and 2) with Losmondy G-11 or Tak EM-400 but I don't think those meet 3). Is there anything out there that would or am I asking the impossible? (I've read reviews here implying neither the Losmandy G-8 or Tak EM-200 would.)
Thanks,
Jeff

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:08 PM

Is there anything out there that would or am I asking the impossible? (I've read reviews here implying neither the Losmandy G-8 or Tak EM-200 would.)
Thanks,
Jeff

The EM-200 should be just fine. It'll handle an imaging load of close to 40 pounds.

#3 Chris Curran

Chris Curran

Viking 1

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:16 PM

A Tak EM-200 would most certainly fit the bill. You'll never get a EM-400 for $3500. You might be able to find a EM-200 for $3500 used on AM.

The Tak polar scope (I presume that's what you meant in #1) is very good, one of the best in fact, but for imaging you're going to want to improve your polar alignment with some other routine - via software or manual drift.

The scope you're using has more to do with the effects of wind, but the EM-200 is a very stout mount. For example, there's a Mewlon 250 riding on a EM-200 near the center of this photo:

Posted Image

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics