Photo

Pros ...Cons....Orion SkyView AZ Mount and Tripod

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 mypontiac

mypontiac

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

Looking to use for a NP 101 and maybe future 6" or 8" SCT. But mainly for the 101.

Thanks,

Sean

#2 drshr

drshr

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:24 AM

All pros:
Great price
Smooth
Strong, will handle what you want with ease.
You may want a pier extension with the 6".

#3 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:51 AM

I put either or both my 120EON and IM715 on it and it works very well. Each OTA weighs about 15 lb.

#4 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:39 PM

I love mine. And like you I'm about to get an NP-101. It will be used with the Skyview. I don't see any problems. The trick is making sure the scope is properly balanced. Once that's done, just a gentle push on the diagonal and the scope slews to wherever you want to go. But I may be looking at having to add an accessory pier so the scope clears the tripod legs. Orion sells two. A long one and a shorter one.

#5 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:00 PM

Turns out Orion only has one extension for this mount so I just bought it. I hope it doesn't weigh too much. It's 16 inches long so it should allow any scope to easily clear the legs.

#6 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:07 PM

It weighs 12-13 lbs. It's actually quite a serious chunk of steel, not at all what I wanted for my SVP, made the thing almost non-portable even with no scope on it.

Someday I intend to replace the pipe part with something a bit shorter and much lighter.

Mike

#7 mypontiac

mypontiac

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

You may want a pier extension with the 6".

with the 6" ????

A 6" extension?

Guess that's it after reading the following posts. :grin:

Thanks,

Sean

#8 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:37 PM

Now that I'm getting an NP-101, I need the extension. I don't work out so maybe this will end up building up some muscle on my flabby, fat frame.

When I spoke with tech support at Orion, the fellow didn't think the extension weighed that much. He said it's hollow.

#9 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:23 PM

Oh, it's hollow, but the tube wall thickness is around 1/8". I weighed it, so the 12-13lb is not just a guess. You'll be impressed when you pick the shipping box up.

Recently in another topic here was shown a picture where someone had a friend work up a nice aluminum tube as a replacement. Looked really good. The diameter required is around 4".

Mike

#10 drshr

drshr

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:36 AM

There is a Swiss or German company making Aluminium ones at 15cm height. Just can't remember their name right now :confused:
They will also make one to your particular height requirement.

#11 Jaime Riviere

Jaime Riviere

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:22 AM

Doc, I think you refer to AOK Swiss

AOK Swiss

#12 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:28 AM

Oh, it's hollow, but the tube wall thickness is around 1/8". I weighed it, so the 12-13lb is not just a guess. You'll be impressed when you pick the shipping box up.

Recently in another topic here was shown a picture where someone had a friend work up a nice aluminum tube as a replacement. Looked really good. The diameter required is around 4".

Mike

Yesterday I got the Orion extension and mounted it. This is one heavy mother! But it's extremely well made. The total opposite of an AZ mount I bought a couple of months ago and was forced to return after I realized that it was a pile.

I used the Orion last night with my NP101 mounted on it. First thing I discovered is the Focusmate two-speed hit the extension. I was thinking "Oh my God! What now?" when it dawned on me I have the other side to mount the scope on. I did and it worked perfectly.

The extension is heavy and makes carrying the mount a chore, but once it's set up, it works flawlessly. Now, no scope I own that's long will hit the tripod legs.

Attached Files

#13 Jaime Riviere

Jaime Riviere

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

Starlighter, I understand that you prefer the Orion AZ to the Gibraltar?

Sorry. I'm sure that there has been a thread about this before :rolling:

I'm in deep indecision ("choice paralysis", as I somebody said in a post here not a long ago) between TV-102 and TV-85, and proper AZ mountings for them. I guess the Skyview is a good option for both.

/Jaime

#14 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

I've never owned a Gibraltar so I really cannot comment on it and be totally accurate.

#15 Waduino

Waduino

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:55 PM

Another mount option might be the iOptron Mini-Tower. They're gaining traction in our club. I kind of like push-to but the idea of decent tracking in a mount that appears to be easy to operate is beginning to attract me. They've been great for public star parties. Anyway, I'm thinking about it for my TV85 so I thought I'd mention it.
Wad.

#16 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:01 PM

If buying it new.....no problem, good product by reputation.....if buying it used you might want to checkout the thread titled "Orion Parts Policy".......

Looking to use for a NP 101 and maybe future 6" or 8" SCT. But mainly for the 101.

Thanks,

Sean

#17 deezdrama

deezdrama

Vanguard

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:29 AM

I too just got my 16" extension a few days ago- what a beast- feels like its cast iron. Im using a cg5 tripod with the WO Eztouch/ the extension was needed for my 120ed. It definatelly made the viewing height nice! I figured it would make things top heavy but the setup seems rock solid.
This setup is miles ahead of the voyager mount i sold. Cant wait for a clear night. Its not grab and go now- but can still get it in one trip.

#18 Talonmane

Talonmane

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:31 AM

I just came in from using my Eon 120 on the Skyview AZ with the pier extension. And yes, the extension does add alot of weight to it, feels like double. It just about takes it over the grab and go threshold that I wanted the AZ mount for. But I like he heck out of it.

As folks say, once it's balanced, it is very smooth with no problem to adjust. Was using a 6mm EP and adjusting on Saturn and the tips of the crescent moon was no trouble. I was always a slow motion guy, but I miss them minimally on this (this with slo-mo would be awesome).

I do wish the extension went on and off easier, it's a bit of a chore, but that is a minor gripe. It is rock solid though.

#19 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:11 PM

I like mine too. It added more weight, that's true. But that weight dropped down an already quick vibration decay time to almost nothing.

Tapping on the side of the scope, I now see vibration disappear almost as quickly as I stop tapping. This is truly beneficial when focusing using high magnification.

The Orion just isn't heavy. This is a very well constructed item. Well thought out.

#20 deezdrama

deezdrama

Vanguard

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:33 PM

I agree- although it ads weight its beneficial- couldnt imagine using the eztouch or orion az and a refractor without one. I didnt want to pay the $90 for an extension since I have access to a machine shop and aluminum/steel tubes and am a welder and DIY'er but- this thing functioned great out of the box- no headaches required- I highly recommend it to anyone with the WO or Orion az for refractor use. Its height,and stabalizing weight are nice.

#21 drshr

drshr

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:17 AM

You try getting one here in Australia!
I have bought a standalone pier instead.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics