• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 BillS50

BillS50

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island New York

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:18 AM

Hi, I have a Skyview pro go to mount with an 8" newt. I have had no luck with alignment yet. I have a polar scope in the mount and have no problems with that part of set up. I did have a glitch in the hand paddle that caused a problem setting the time zone.You guys here helped me out with that one. I got the long and lat #'s off of a map that I could see my house on! The time is from the atomic clock. I made a map of good bright stars from stellarium. But when I try to star align the stars it trys to go to are close to 90 deg off. Iwill gladly listen to any suggestions. I am getting ready to trot my autostar back out.

Thanks
Bill

#2 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:35 AM

It's quite possible that due to the other problem the SynScan is now "confused" as to where you are. It keeps track of RA adjustment offset from alignment to alignment. It will correct itself after a few alignments, as long as you always use the slew buttons to center the first target star (rather than release the locks and push the mount there) and are consistent with your home position and provide correct date/time input at startup.

If really far off, doing this may be difficult. I'm pretty sure you can also clear the RA offset by doing a Factory Reset, so you should try that (note this will require re-inputting your location info).

As I mentioned before, do only 1-star alignments until you get this working as expected, it saves time.

Mike

#3 BillS50

BillS50

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:03 AM

Re-inputting all of the info is no problem. I was thinking a wipe and re start might help. Do you know how to erase the memory?

Bill

#4 Leigh

Leigh

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cranleigh, UK

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:10 AM

I literally just got the HEQ5 pro.. so i'm fairly new to this but i was initially having problems with the alignment too. I was being super stupid and putting the Lat/Long coords in the wrong way. They are always reported N W but the synscan wants them W N.. I wasn't reading things and shoved them in the wrong way around. No wonder i was being asked to centre on stars that were way off from where i thought they were.

I also ditched the method for polar alignment from the book.. and i might add from some websites. I got hold of polarfinder and used that to find the time/date for a particular polar position. I put the scope to that position and then dialed the date time into the mount. That seemed to work fine and my 3-star align was within my ccd chip

Just a thought. or 2

Hope that helps?

Leigh

#5 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:30 AM

Do you know how to erase the memory?

The Factory Reset erases any settings you've made. That's all I know how to do. It should be enough to get you back on track.

Mike

#6 rdegoutier

rdegoutier

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: White Rock, BC, Canada

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:02 AM

I had a similar problem which turned out to be an HC bug. I set Time Zone to -8, using the left hand arrrow to change the + to a -. For some reason, on checking, it always went back to a +8. Had to use the right hand arrow to make the -8 stick.

If it's not that, 90 degrees off suggests that you are leaving the scope horizontal after polar alignment, and not pointing it roughly North (Park position) before starting star alignment. I did that first time I had my mount out of the box. Took me a very frustrating hour to figure out what I was doing wrong.

#7 BillS50

BillS50

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:54 AM

I had the hand controller bug. So that's not it. I put the scope in what the manual call the home position after I am polar aligned. I'm going to try erasing the memory when I get home tonight. I just have to figure out how.

Bill

#8 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:34 PM

You've tried the factory reset already?

Mike

#9 BillS50

BillS50

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:40 PM

No, Mike,

I am not sure how to do that. I guess I will try to figure out the reset when I get home. I am assuming it will be an option in the utilities list.

#10 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:53 PM

Oh. Yes, I think Utilities. Or Setup, can't remember. It's something that's been added since the manual was written. It's available in version 3.20.

Oh yeah, it's actually called "Fatory" in the menu.

Mike

#11 BillS50

BillS50

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:27 PM

OK Mike thanks. I will look for Factory. I just hope to get this working tonight as we are in for a couple of "severe clear" nights and I don't want to miss out.

Thanks
Bill

#12 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:23 PM

You can also update the firmware of synscan to version 3.24 if you have not already done it.

#13 BillS50

BillS50

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:03 PM

I have updated to the most current firmware. I have reset the controller to the factory defaults and I have re-programmed all of my settings. Now I am just waiting for tomorrow night which is going to be clear.

Thank you all for all of your help. I pray that it all works now!

Bill

#14 BillS50

BillS50

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:51 AM

Last night we had clear skies. I put it all together and it finally worked. I did a two star alignment. Then did a go to Saturn, and there it was. Right in the center the eyepiece. I also went to Bodeys nebula no problem. The darn thing works.
Thank you all for your input and help.

Bill

#15 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:29 AM

Cool, glad you got it working.

From now on if during an alignment you find you have to slew unusually far in RA (like much more than half an hour) to get to the first star, start over and double-check your date/time inputs and startup home position first. Otherwise you'll wind up in a similar situation again.

Mike

#16 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:18 PM

That's terrific! Welcome to the wonderful world of goto.

David

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics