• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ronny Floyd

Ronny Floyd

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga,Tennessee

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:05 PM

Hey Guys & Gals,

I am looking to purchase an EQ mount for a Bogen #3046 tripod that I have that is currently collecting dust. Right now I have my little Megrez72 mounted on a Telepod which is fine for Lunar viewing from home. I would like to get a GEM so that I can have tracking when viewing planets.

What do you reccommend ? I will not be doing any imaging, I just want tracking. Will I need single axis or dual axis tracking ? I would like for it to be motorized but do not need goto. I have always been an Altaz mount kinda guy and need some direction. I'd prefer to buy used and would like to get a mount for under $200.00, could I get something pretty good for that price range ?

Thanks,

#2 averen

averen

Vendor Main Sequence Software

• Vendors
  • Loc: Austin TX

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:41 PM

Don't know about a head for your tripod but you don't need an EQ mount to track objects. Many computerized alt/az mounts track...they just have to do it in 2 axis. If you're using it only for visual the simplicity of a computerized alt/az over a GEM might be beneficial to you.

However you can get a CG-4 for pretty cheap (I've seen the head only go for around or under $200)...and it would be more than enough to support your Megrez72...actually you might need to add some more weight to get it to balance!

With an EQ mount you'll only need tracking in the RA axis (single axis) if you go with an alt/az mount you'll need dual axis.

Jared

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics