Photo

Just a reminder...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:13 PM

..for those of you that mount OTAs on rails, be sure to install the stop screw on the end. It might just save your OTA someday.

It saved mine a couple of days ago. I attached my 12" SCT on my Paramount while the mount was horizontal. I left the mount horizontal and did some other work on the mount, but neglected to completely tighten the clamp screws down that hold the OTA.

Later when I rotated the mount 90 degrees so it pointed skyward I was treated to the sound of very loud POP! The sound was the OTA sliding down the Paramount's Versa-Plate and coming to an abrupt stop by the 2 screws I have on the end. These 2 screw stopped the OTA from sliding off on the floor. Talk about my heart skipping a beat.

So remember to attach your stop screws on the end of your rail or dove-tail plate.

#2 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:35 PM

Safety screws saved my 14" from the same fate one time, good advice!!!

#3 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:33 PM

Had that happen with a C6R at my very first outreach event. Thank my lucky stars I had the safety screw in place. :p

David

#4 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:37 PM

I am shocked people don't use them. :bigshock: :foreheadslap: :bawling:

#5 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:09 PM

When I'm setting up a new plate I sometimes think - nah, I don't need that but I still do it anyway. And the first time I leave one off will almost certainly be the time it will slide right off..... Thanks for reminding me to not be lazy about such a trivial fix.

#6 jacktechie

jacktechie

Vostok 1

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:22 AM

Good thing I normally use the safety bolt on the orange CGE dovetail of the c11. Wasn't careful and didn't totally lock the saddle bolts. When I heard the loud bang, the stainless steel bolt was still perfectly straight but now angled 60 degrees rather than the normal 90.
Jack

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics