Photo

Takahashi TG-LM Lapides Altazimuth Opinions ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mypontiac

mypontiac

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Tx.

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:24 PM

I like the looks of this mount. :jump:

I will be using it with a TV 101.

Can ya'll give me some reviews of your experiences using it?

Also, recommend a set of legs that does not cost more than the mount. :foreheadslap:

Thanks,

Sean

#2 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:04 PM

It is definitely a nice mount and should work great with your NP-101. I used mine primarily for a 105 Traveler, which I believe is heavier than the NP-101 but a little shorter. The tensioning screws work well to adjust "friction" to facilitate EP changes and the motion/smoothness of the mount. It is fairly compact. The Slo-Mo controls are also a real plus but I would suggest you think about some after market replacements for the stock Tak knobs, which are too short and made of plastic. FocusKnobs makes a 6" aluminum knob that places the controls closer to the focuser. Try it out with the Tak knobs of course - you can always add the extended knobs later. At its price point, I think it ranks among the best Alt/Az for a 4" refractor. That said, I gave mine up for a Half Hitch but again - much more expensive. Even so, I had a hard time parting with the Tak, something about that mount I really liked and enjoyed even if not as "pretty" as some others. Hey, it just works.

You might also consider a used DM-4 especially if you are thinking about DSCs later. You can get a pretty good deal on Amart it seems.

As for tripods - I'm a real proponent of high quality tripods and would expect to pay nearly as much as I would for the mount. I used my Teegul with a 5 series Gitzo CF because portability and light weight were of paramount importance but that certainly won't fit your desire for something a little less expensive. I also used it with a Berlebach UNI 24, a real beauty but much heavier and almost as expensive as the Gitzo. I'd certainly consider something used for a tripod, just keep scanning the ads...

#3 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA & La Paz MX

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:22 AM

Yup, IMO a very nice Alt-Az mount for this size of scope. And adapts very well to both the Vixen and Losmandy style saddles/mounts.

As another poster has noted, think about upgrading the Knobs. The Focusknobs 6" guys are excellent and if you can pick up some flex cable knobs from an Orion Astroview they work very well as well.

A Gibraltar tripod or a Stellarvue Stablelock along with an Orion SVP tripod (used them all) would be very solid choices and would help the Teegul perform to its max. And, of course any of the Tak tripods as well, duh!

Phil

#4 mypontiac

mypontiac

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:36 AM

Thanks guys!!! :grin:

Sean

#5 Scott99

Scott99

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New England

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:05 AM

Sean - these are great, I've been enjoying mine for years. I use a Berlebach Uni 14 tripod, it was very solid with my FS102. The Berlebach comes with a huge beautiful wooden tray, it's excellent for storing your eyepieces & stuff during observing. You should be able to order one from Teton without paying shipping from Germany.

When I got my Teegul one axis was a little too stiff, you can take it apart and adjust the tension pretty easily. If you find you need to do this I can email you an article with pictures & instructions on how to do this.

I use this with long refractor tubes so I replaced the stock slo-motion knobs with slo-mo cables from Scopestuff.

Also I replaced the tension knob (thumbscrew) on the altitude axis with a nice Bogen knob:

part #R002,23 Plate Knob F/3126 3130

#6 highwood

highwood

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:59 AM

Sean:

Like Doug, I use mine with a Traveler. I also use a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod (5530) when I need something lightweight and suit-case packable. Great tripod but expensive. I use a Davis & Sanford aluminum model (the kind AP sells) for regular use. Heavier but a little more sturdy than the Gitzo, even though the latter is rated for 55 lbs. For maximum stability, I use an AP wooden tripod. Whichever tripod you choose, you will love the mount.

Enjoy!

Jim

#7 CESDewar

CESDewar

GorillAstronomer

• Loc: Blue Ridge, GA, USA

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:55 PM

It's a wonderful mount. I use it with my TMB92 and TMB105/650 and frequently use it with my SCT-8 which is over 20lbs when loaded with finders, diagonal EP. etc. I have it on a Gitzo CF tripod like others here - yes the tripod is horribly expensive, but I've never regretted the purchase for even a moment due to its fine rigidity and contribution to a light-weight grab&go.

The Tak/Lapides mount is a joy to use. I especially like the fact that it still works ok with an unbalanced package - so when you switch from a binoviewer to a lightweight EP (which would give other mounts grief), that can work ok if you have the tension cranked up a bit on the mount.

I have a DM-6 too and while that obviously provides a sturdier mount for my C8 - I far prefer using the C8 on the Tak mount for its convenience. I have no problem viewing objects at 250-350x with the slow motion controls which are conveniently located.

#8 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, West Australia

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:10 PM

Is this mount push to with slow motions like a Vixen Porta? Does it have adjustable slip clutches?

#9 DennisF

DennisF

Apollo

• Loc: Northern IL

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:30 PM

Is this mount push to with slow motions like a Vixen Porta?

Yes in concept, better in execution.

Does it have adjustable slip clutches?

Yes.

#10 DennisF

DennisF

Apollo

• Loc: Northern IL

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:32 PM

...you can take it apart and adjust the tension pretty easily. If you find you need to do this I can email you an article with pictures & instructions on how to do this...

I'd like a copy of that in case I ever need it. Always a good idea to know what you're getting into before hand.

#11 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, West Australia

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:42 AM

Thanks Dennis :)

#12 Scott99

Scott99

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New England

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:55 AM

OK, PM me w/ your email address

...you can take it apart and adjust the tension pretty easily. If you find you need to do this I can email you an article with pictures & instructions on how to do this...

I'd like a copy of that in case I ever need it. Always a good idea to know what you're getting into before hand.

#13 mypontiac

mypontiac

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:48 PM

Looks like I'm going for the Teegul!!! :grin:

Sean

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics