Photo

CGEM balance questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 QueueCT

QueueCT

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:54 AM

I've been having some challenges balancing this mount effectively. I have a C8 with an AT66 guidescope/finder attached to the finder bracket holes on the rear cell resulting in very back heavy setup. The attached photo shows the setup prior to deforking the scope. In addition, I'm hanging accessories of the back (mostly camera equipment). I mount the C8 using the ADM Losmandy dovetail.

I know I need to use more than the included 11 lb counterweight and have another one on order. Do I also need to bite the bullet and install a dovetail on top of the scope as well so that I can move the AT66 forward to help the balance? The current mounting approach is incredibly convenient though I haven't figured out yet if it's introducing too much flex for guiding purposes which may make all of this a moot point. I'd prefer not to thread any additional weight on the front of the lower dovetail if I can avoid it.

John

Attached Files

#2 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:52 AM

It would make life simple. Another option is to mount some small CW's to the front end of the DP. They will help offset the rear load as well as act as a safety stop.

#3 Greg K.

Greg K.

• Administrators

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:27 PM

You could also go with a side-by-side saddle setup.

#4 QueueCT

QueueCT

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:40 PM

Wouldn't that just cause other issues with balance since there's such a significant difference in the scope weights? That's not to say that I wouldn't do that if I get a 102mm refractor.

John

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics