• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

Hi,

I made this observation of Jupiter this morning. I observed the King for 45 minutes before making the sketch. When I began, it was still dark but by the time of the sketch it was major twilight. I used the filters while it was dark but found the view more pleasing in integrated light (IL) after twilight began.

The seeing was just good enough for me to use my 8mm BO/TMB Planetary eyepiece--it's a nice one. Since Jupiter was so low, I took out the diagonal and just looked straight through, hence the "classical" south up, preceding (west) to the left view.

The Great Red Spot (GRS) had just turned the corner when I began my observation around 0845 UT and it didn't take long to move into view. The GRS Hollow was outlined with a fairly dark oval, but the center of the spot was quite pale. I did not detect any festoons, although I suspected a couple--the dark barge is possibly the base of a festoon.

Europa was eclipsed by the Jovian shadow, but the other three Galilean moons were strung out on the preceding side with Io closest to Jupiter, following Ganymede and Callisto respectively. Mu Cap was to the north and in the FOV but Jupiter had moved noticeably to the east in the 24 hours since my previous look.

I'd like to dedicate this sketch to my mother-in-law, Rosalie Stennett, who passed away on May 20th at the age of 88 years. She always enjoyed looking at the heavens.

Attached Files

#2 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:15 PM

great Jupiter sketch,morning is often the best time to observe planets as the atmosphere has usually settled down by then,looks like the seb still has a big rift running through it, sorry to hear about your mother in law, thanks for sharing it is nice to see some old veterans are still sketching.

#3 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:20 AM

Thanks, T5, much appreciated. Hope we all get more views of Jupiter through the summer--looking forward to your next sketch of the King. :)

#4 PG Lewis

PG Lewis

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: ~31.5S NSW Australia

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:04 PM

Wonderful sketch! Really hoping to get a few telescopic views of Jupiter while I'm visiting down under. It should be much more conveniently placed than it was for me last autumn in the midwest US.

#5 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:55 AM

Thanks, PG. South is a good place to be if you want to see Jupiter (although I believe it will be a little higher for us in the Northern Hemisphere this year than it was last year). I hope you get some nice views and post your reports.

Chris Go made these images of Jupiter a little more than one rotation after I did my sketch. He lives in the Phillipines.

#6 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:38 AM

Nice one, Michael!

-- Jeff.

#7 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:36 PM

Thanks, Jeff. :)

#8 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:55 AM

Michael,

An excellent observation of Jupiter. You have recorded a blue festoon along the southern border of the North Equatorial Belt (NEB) as well as the Great Red Spot (GRS, more of a pale orange color according to recent images). Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#9 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:02 PM

Thank you, Carlos. I've noticed in recent images that the festoon I recorded seems to be migrating (or maybe it is the rotation of the whole NEB). Anyway, this image from today by dweller25 shows where the festoon is now. The image also gives an astonishingly good sense of how Jupiter appeared visually in my SCT the other morning. :cool:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics