AT Voyager 'stiction'

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hammerhead

hammerhead

Viking 1

• Loc: MA

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:23 PM

I just got an AT Voyager a couple weeks ago. Right away while setting it up I thought the azimuth motion felt fairly sticky. Once moving it felt smooth enough, but getting it moving initially took a little more effort than I thought it should. Even when using the slo-mo knobs I had the same result.

I shrugged it off until I could get it out under the stars and sure enough... it's not a nice smooth movement at all. At med/high power I just about knock the target out of the FOV getting this thing moving.

Yes, I've backed off the tension/lock knobs substantially so I know that this isn't the problem. At least not directly.

Is this normal? Altitude movement, while not perfect, is pretty decent and at least acceptable to me. But the azimuth motion just plain stinks IMO. Anyone else having similar issues or did I get a dog here?

#2 TONGKW

TONGKW

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:44 PM

My Voyager mount was also a bit sticky on both axes when new. I resort to turning it round and round by hand many times to bed in the running surfaces. The motion on both axes is now very smooth after using it for almost a year now. Please make sure the sticky issue is not due to faulty internal parts.

K W TONG
----------------
C8 + CG-5GT, TSA102 + HEQ5 PRO, MK67 + Voyager Mount, WO ZS 80FD + Kenko NES, NexStar 6SE, WO Megrez 72 + Mizar K Mount, Mini Borg 50, C5, PST

#3 John Miele

John Miele

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:55 PM

I got lucky. Mine is very smooth and has just the right amount of ""stiction. Maybe you could disassemble, clean and relubricate with superlube. You might have some of the infamous glue grease lurking in there??

#4 hammerhead

hammerhead

Viking 1

• Loc: MA

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:13 PM

Hmmm... wish I had one to compare it to. I don't like not knowing whether I've got a bad mount or one that just needs to be broken in more. I guess I'll just try to keep working it for a few more days and see what shakes out. Thanks for the responses.

#5 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA & La Paz MX

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:48 PM

Hi Brian,

I tried a Voyager awhile back and experienced the same stiction problem you did. Otherwise a nice mount for the price.

My choice for a solid mid-weight Alt-Az mount is the Teegul/Lapides. Very smooth panning and great slo-mo controls. Using them for years. And a 102ED rides very nicely on the Teegul (use a good tripod).

Phil

#6 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

• Loc: Connecticut - U.S.

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:25 AM

I'd tell you the answer, but... You're a Red Sawx fan. :vomit: :grin:

#7 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

• Loc: Connecticut - U.S.

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:27 AM

Seriously though, I didn't have an issue with mine. But maybe do what others have suggested. Just turn the alt/az around manually and see if it loosens up. I have my tension knobs tight 24-7. You might find Manny's Mods Pan Handle a good help also, for Push-To'ing.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics