• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:05 PM

Hi,
I cannot locate the link of interest I saved and so this post.

With the arrival and use of the TEC 160, my desire for a pier style mount for the CGE has increased a lot. Who sells these? As I remember they had collapseable legs and all, bubble levels, were relatively affordable and could be height specified. I don't think they were specifically targeted for this mount but seemed they could be relatively easily adapted. Thanks :)

#2 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Utah

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:59 PM

Jim:

Sorry for the delay in posting to you. I have been away for the weekend but......

A friend had what most would consider a pier extension made by a machine shop near him in Idaho Falls, Idaho. He mounted his TEC 160 on his CGE mount with standard tripod. He loved it BUT felt it was ordered too long as he was guessing at the height of the eyepiece with the extension and standard height tripod.

Long story made short he ordered a new one instead of getting the existing "new" one cut down. I purchased this from him. It works perfectly on my CGE with my 6" f/12. (picture attached)

It was near $270.00 if I remember correctly but is a well machined piece of aluminum, wrapped in some kind of black vinyl material.

If you are interested try Air Way Machine Co. (208)524-4657 or (208)523-7206 by FAX. Ask for or address Reed Heston. I am not the owner and have no interest in his business, just a referral ok?

Attached Files

#3 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Utah

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:03 PM

And VERY stable!

Attached Files

#4 waterdog

waterdog

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:54 AM

You might want to check out the offerings from Advanced Telescope Systems (ATS) portable piers at
http://www.advancedt...scope_piers.htm
They are excellent.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics