EQ mount for TEC-140

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DJCarcel

DJCarcel

Explorer 1

• Loc: Woodbury Heights,NJ

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:36 PM

Not really appreciating the challenge of tracking planets with high power on an altazimuth mount, I purchased an DM-6 which just does not cut it for me. I spend way too much time repositioning the scope to really just appreciate the views before me. I am looking for input on an driven EQ mount that will support the scope and be good enough for visual use. It would be placed on my JMI dolly so I can roll it around my patio. I would also like to not have to buy another tripod if possible as I have a nice Berlebach now. Thanks, Dave

#2 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:43 PM

Budget? CGEM on the low end, GCE/G11 on the high.

#3 DJCarcel

DJCarcel

Explorer 1

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:15 PM

Budget? CGEM on the low end, GCE/G11 on the high.

What ever I can get for the DM-6...

#4 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:30 PM

Yo should be able to get a new CGEM or possibly a used CGE fro the resale of the DM6.

#5 Time on my hands

Time on my hands

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Central Oregon

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:33 AM

I do not know what your DM-6 will bring but the Atlas mount works very well for both of my big refractors. It is heavy and takes some time to assemble but it sounds like you intend to leave it assembled anyway.

#6 DJCarcel

DJCarcel

Explorer 1

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:45 AM

I do not know what your DM-6 will bring but the Atlas mount works very well for both of my big refractors. It is heavy and takes some time to assemble but it sounds like you intend to leave it assembled anyway.

Thomas, Yes, it was actually the mistake I made in the beginning. I saw the mass of the different required EQ mounts for a TEC-140 and thought, "No way am I putting that together and taking it apart for a two hour viewing session. Then I found the DM-6 with Berlebach tripod was a mess to deal with anyway and put then on a JMI tripod dolly. It is actually a very unstable arrangement and had to add weight to one side of the dolly to keep it from tipping. So the EQ mount would also land on a dolly so I could roll it out and in as needed. I will check out the Atlas mount also but there is a Celestron G-11 mount on AM that I may bid on. Thanks, Dave

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics