Photo

How to: setting 0 DEC mark for SVP Intelliscope

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Myles

Myles

Viking 1

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:09 PM

I am getting ready to sell my SVP mount with Intelliscope so I decided to double check my earlier efforts to set the 0 DEC mark. I haven't used the mount in a while and I wanted to make sure I had a good mark. This turned into a step-step to augment(but not replace) the printed manual. Let me know if you have an easier way or I have done something wrong. Bottom line, going thru the steps again confirmed my earlier mark was good and I had been using that in the field so I know all is well.

Here we go:

Step 1:

1) Since you have to point at something and I do this from inside looking across at the horizon I lower the latitude setting to almost zero and extend the back two tripod legs a few inches leaving the front fully retracted. This allows the scope to point at a distance tree that is just above the horizon. Start with the scope DEC axis so it is parallel to the RA axis and then move the RA axis so the counterweight bar is parallel to the floor, see picture (1)

Attached Files

#2 Myles

Myles

Viking 1

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:10 PM

2) Loosen the RA setting circle and adjust the setting circle so, looking from underneath, the RA pointer is aligned with 12o’clock – tighten the setting circle, see picture (2)

Attached Files

#3 Myles

Myles

Viking 1

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:11 PM

3) Spot a tree or light pole top, scoot /turn the whole mount if necessary to get the object in the EP view, I center using the DEC as necessary, see picture (3)

Attached Files

#4 Myles

Myles

Viking 1

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:11 PM

4) Flip the scope 180 degrees, the RA pointer now shows 0 o’clock, see picture (4). Check the image if it is not aligned up/down, move the DEC knob until the image is half way to being aligned up/down. Flip 180, check the image and repeat the ½ up/down DEC knob adjustment. Repeat this until the image is centered on both sides of the 180 flip.

Attached Files

#5 Myles

Myles

Viking 1

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:14 PM

5) Now move the RA axis 90 degrees so the counter weight/shaft points to the ground (should be pointing right to the tripod leg. Loosen the DEC setting circle move to where the 90 degrees aligns with the DEC pointer mark, tighten the DEC setting circle, see picture (6)

Attached Files

#6 Myles

Myles

Viking 1

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:14 PM

6) Now rotate the DEC axis to the WEST so that the DEC setting circle 0 degrees aligns with the DEC pointer mark. The front tripod leg is NORTH so rotate the DEC axis left to get the scope pointing WEST. It is all relative to the front leg labeled N – you don’t really have to be pointing North. See picture (7 and 8). This is where you mark the DEC axis housing so that you can always return to DEC = ZERO when the Intelliscope asks for on startup. I just used red headlight tape in case I did it wrong.

Attached Files

#7 Myles

Myles

Viking 1

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:15 PM

Last picture - pointing "west" relative the "N" marked tripod leg. This is the 0 DEC position.

Now return your lattitude adjustment to where you live.

All is well. Turn Intelliscope on, move the DEC axis to your new 0 DEC mark, have Intelliscope accept it, find two setup stars, hopefully your good to go and locate any object Intelliscope knows about.

Hey, that wasn't so bad. Now maybe I don't want to sell it ;)
- Myles

Attached Files

#8 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 May 2009 - 02:01 PM

Good procedure, similar to what I did though I used Polaris instead. You can also use this method to reduce cone error.

One thing to be aware of, the Dec ring is not necessarily printed uniformly all the way around. On mine there's about an extra 1-degree space between one of the 0's and the nearest hash mark to one side. So it's better to make sure that 0 is not the one you are using, use the opposite one. There'll still be a little error even then but it'll be close enough.

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics